PDA

View Full Version : New product - Nelson billet intake manifold!

Larry Callahan
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Nelson Racing Engines (http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/) has released a new 100% billet intake aluminum manifold carved from solid stock 6061. It features dual fuel injectors per cylinder positioned with a straight shot at the back of the valve.

All the injectors are placed within the runner for out of sight injector placement. They have also built the entire fuel system into the body of the manifold as both fuel rails tie into a distribution plate which splits into internally boost referenced fuel regulators. All inlet and outlet connections are accomplished in the back of the manifold for a clean look. No fuel lines are need other than connecting and returning the fuel.

The fully CNC machined throttle body features twin 62 mm air doors with CNC machined stainless throttle linkage. This linkage is run in between the throttle blades so it’s hidden and connects to a pivot at the base of the manifold which houses the TPS sensor that is also hidden. The MAP sensor and air temp sensor are also machined into the base lid.

All the connections between the parts have o-rings eliminating the need for gaskets. They have also tested this manifold up 2500 hp already and say that there is nothing they ever tested that has this kind of throttle response and power. Tom also says this manifold has allowed their standard 1600 hp 427 twin turbo motor to produce 1750hp!

Every ounce of the manifold is CNC machined and is repeatable to within .0005 thousands of an inch which Tom says has totally eliminated the variation in the tune ups for his engine. This manifold design has reduced 30% of fuel needed to make the same power on a given engine.

This is the best engine piece they ever developed says Tom.

Please visit http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/ for more information or call Tom Nelson at (818) 998-5593

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12267

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12271

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12253

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12255

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12247

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12249

frankenstang
11-30-2007, 03:48 PM
we're (Jeff) waiting for that intake at the shop. It's gonna really help w/ hood clearance on that monster BBC!! What a piece of artwork.

TBART70
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
wow! should I even ask how much?

GetMore
11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
That is beautiful!
I'd like something kind of like that for my small block, it needs to work on Bowtie Vortec heads, but doesn't need to handle the turbos, BTW.

70 Chevelle
11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Just looking at it makes my wallet ache. BEAUTIFUL.

uwntsumrtII
11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
:worship: :jawdrop:

neki67
12-01-2007, 03:58 AM
wow! should I even ask how much?

I think the old saying applies: When you have to ask, you cannot afford . ..

But my o my, what a work of art!

Samckitt
12-01-2007, 04:21 AM
That is cool. Beautiful.

wedgehead
12-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Makes my old super ram intake setup look just ancient and just plain ugly. Was this the intake on the engine he had on display at the Pro-Touring banquet?

Larry Callahan
12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Yep. Here it is again

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11848

John McIntire
12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
That is just amazing, simply beautiful.

70 Chevelle
12-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Looking at that intake makes me wonder where the costs come from. I realize that a chunk of billet that large is very expensive . Does the cost come from going through multiple bits in the cnc, the program necessary to machine it, or just the amount of time a chunk of aluminum that large takes to machine. I am, by no means, criticising the cost of this intake because I don't know how much it costs. I guess what I am asking is where would most of the cost come from when trying to make a piece like this outside of the billet material itself ? I have always asked myself that question when I see the cost of rims. Keep in mind I have never been around a cnc so I am unaware of what goes into making these types of parts. Once the program has been made wouldn't you just have to feed the cnc raw stock and machining bits? please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.

hotrdblder
12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
i think retail is 8 or 9k

GetMore
12-01-2007, 06:08 PM
To give part of the answer on cost, a lot of the cost is engineering time and trial and error in making the first pieces and testing them.
That is one of the reasons knockoffs are cheaper, all those overseas companies do is copy the original, they don't have much engineering cost to recover.

Machining a part doesn't cost all that much, but the investment in the machine does, and that cost has to be added in to come up with a cost to machine the parts.

Some companies will have a "startup" cost for parts. It covers the original programming, creating fixtures and tools, and just generally figuring out how to make the part. After that they will just charge a set fee per part.
Other companies charge a fee based on the quantities. The more parts made, the less they charge per part. Basically, they build the setup fee into the part cost.

TBART70
12-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Very high end stuff, I'll stick to my original plan of a custom Hogan intake for half the money. If you don't ask how much how are you supposed to pay for it?:rotfl:

southernfriedcj
12-02-2007, 08:46 AM
If you don't ask how much how are you supposed to pay for it?:rotfl:

Credit card!:hand:

Dave96dcm
12-09-2007, 09:03 AM
I would think that the aluminum for that is over 1k, and machine time is usuall $150+ a hour if it is 4 or 5 axis, and there are 4 different pieces so you have fixture time and all that, when you take everything into prespective, 8k is not that nuch $ for that.

Larry Callahan
12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I would think that the aluminum for that is over 1k, and machine time is usuall $150+ a hour if it is 4 or 5 axis, and there are 4 different pieces so you have fixture time and all that, when you take everything into prespective, 8k is not that nuch $ for that.

I agree. Billet work like that is what I do for a living. I am the GM of an Aerospace machine shop and at our hourly rate we could not make and sell it for any less if I were to do it. There is so much work that you can't see it's crazy. The thing really is a work of art and the number of hours of ball end mill work is nuts. Just imagine the money they have to recover on the design, tooling and all the programs that had to be written and if it really is around 8k it's really not that much considering all the above.

got_hp?
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
that thing is simply gorgeous........you could have a naked supermodel standing behind that motor pic and i wouldnt even notice her.

67 455 Bird ragtop
12-12-2007, 07:10 AM
that thing is simply gorgeous........you could have a naked supermodel standing behind that motor pic and i wouldnt even notice her.

You need threapy .... lol

BMF Machine
12-16-2007, 12:29 PM
That thing is awsome!

Keep on going~:yum: Damn that is a cool design!!!!!!

andrewb70
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Its jewelry alright. Then again I can build a 10 second car for 8K...LOL

Andrew

Ripper
12-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Beautiful thing. Really...

Sorry if I sound like a hater, but;

How much does it flow?
How much does it weight? Looks awfully heavy...

This manifold design has reduced 30% of fuel needed to make the same power on a given engine.
I don't really understand this, it might be because I'm not native english. Do they mean that switching from another intake to this will reduce fuel consumption with 30%?

Sorry for sounding boring, but sure - it's a work of art - but 8-9k is alot of money...

Tom Nelson
12-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Beautiful thing. Really...

Sorry if I sound like a hater, but;

How much does it flow?
How much does it weight? Looks awfully heavy...

I don't really understand this, it might be because I'm not native english. Do they mean that switching from another intake to this will reduce fuel consumption with 30%?

Sorry for sounding boring, but sure - it's a work of art - but 8-9k is alot of money...
Flow is all depended on the cyl head but just keep in mind its basically a straight shot it doesn't have to make any bends other than the transistion to the port.It is pretty heavy but not as heavy as it looks it's around .125 wall thickness.The 30% we saw was from what i think not having the injector shoot straight at the floor of the port and turn back into a droplet.Both shoot straight at the back of the valve.To give you an idea we went from a 55pound injector primary and a 83 pound secondary running at 90 percent staged at 1600 hp to a 60 pound primary and a 60 pound secondary with the secondary running at50%staged a huge decrease in fuel used at power.8000.00 is really a bargain when you see the machine time it takes to make it.I really don't care if i sell any of these outside of my Crate packages.They are standard on my TT motors and work really good the throttle responce on these is out of this world.You would have to experience it to really appreciate it.There are so many features that are built into the design that weve learned over the years that are just built in as secrets.It's an awesome piece

BMF Machine
12-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Flow is all depended on the cyl head but just keep in mind its basically a straight shot it doesn't have to make any bends other than the transistion to the port.It is pretty heavy but not as heavy as it looks it's around .125 wall thickness.The 30% we saw was from what i think not having the injector shoot straight at the floor of the port and turn back into a droplet.Both shoot straight at the back of the valve.To give you an idea we went from a 55pound injector primary and a 83 pound secondary running at 90 percent staged at 1600 hp to a 60 pound primary and a 60 pound secondary with the secondary running at50%staged a huge decrease in fuel used at power.8000.00 is really a bargain when you see the machine time it takes to make it.I really don't care if i sell any of these outside of my Crate packages.They are standard on my TT motors and work really good the throttle responce on these is out of this world.You would have to experience it to really appreciate it.There are so many features that are built into the design that weve learned over the years that are just built in as secrets.It's an awesome piece

Sweet work Tom, some of us know what it would take; Like me and Larry, but we would both buy yours. ScreW all that trial and error. You got a killer product right there!

awesometool
01-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I ordered one today he said around two months lead time. I
'm so excited it will fit under the ss hood gain hp and torque.

Twin-Boost
01-07-2008, 04:06 AM
i sold my hogan inntake and will cange to this new billet inntake mostly because of the superior innjector capacity but also for its stunning design.
the old inntake works greate but widh one set of 160 ib injectors
the car will be difficult to tune clean for street duty.
cant wait to bolt it on.

got_hp?
01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
make sure to post some pics after you guys get them installed!!!

that intake is truly a thing of beauty........id almost want to put it on a pedestal in my office instead of in my engine bay.

BMF Machine
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Anyone put one of these on their RiDe YeT?

Need pix for the FiX!

va72mlibu
02-09-2008, 07:24 PM
My best friend has one of these going into his 67 Chevelle. His car is at Schwartz Performance, so bug Jeff to see if there are pics.

YOU HEAR THAT JEFF!!! GIMME' PICS OF JAKE's CAR!!!:wedgie:

BMF Machine
02-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Yep, Hey Jeff'o! Where's the PiX?:wedgie: :lol:

awesometool
02-11-2008, 03:39 AM
I think he said they willl take approx. 8 weeks so I'm looking at the beginning of march. I will post pics some after.