PDA

View Full Version : How hard to install a rear firewall?

Rileys68Camaro
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking about installing a rear firewall in my Camaro and was wondering how hard is it?

Is it necessary to weld the full perimeter? I imagine I have to weld some of it, but could the rest be sealed some other way?

GetMore
11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Are you looking to do this for a specific racing class? It may make a difference.

MrQuick
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Last i've checked it just has to be a certain thickness and fully sealed but not necassary to fully weld.

For street I would just screw and seam sealer it in, so it is removable.

Rileys68Camaro
11-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Not anything specific, but safe. I have a rear mount battery and want to step up to a fuel cell in the future.

Just trying to plan ahead.

scogin918
11-28-2007, 07:04 AM
We welded up all of the holes in the existing seat frame. The top of the package tray will need to be filled in as well.

Damn True
11-28-2007, 09:02 AM
We welded up all of the holes in the existing seat frame. The top of the package tray will need to be filled in as well.

:hand: Dude, that is brilliant! :hand:

I have been agonizing over how to do my bulkhead. Steel v aluminum. Welded v riveted. One piece v multiple sections etc etc.

Doing it that way absolutely never occured to me.:hand:

scogin918
11-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, thank you. We went over the same issues as well. I just think it makes it easier in the long run, especially when having to put the back seat in.

Rileys68Camaro
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Heck, I was just thinking of putting a large piece of sheet over the entire thing.

Also, I have my battery cable running between the outer wheel well and inner?, basically over the wheel well behind the interior panel. Does that need sealed? I would think yes, but that might be a pain to get to.

Thanks!

barno68
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Heck, I was just thinking of putting a large piece of sheet over the entire thing.

Also, I have my battery cable running between the outer wheel well and inner?, basically over the wheel well behind the interior panel. Does that need sealed? I would think yes, but that might be a pain to get to.

Thanks!

You can use fire caulk in the wireways. It is red and comes in a normal caulking tube, when exposed to fire it expands and seals the hole. It meets all building fire codes. We use it for cabling run through walls.

Damn True
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
You can use fire caulk in the wireways. It is red and comes in a normal caulking tube, when exposed to fire it expands and seals the hole. It meets all building fire codes. We use it for cabling run through walls.

Any idea how the fire caulk would react to fuel? I mean the purpose of the firewall is to keep a bravo fire and it's fuel out of the passenger compartment. In a rear end collision the fuel is likely to get splashed out ahead of any flame front (if there is ignition). Would the caulk still work if it is exposed to fuel?