PDA

View Full Version : Koni or Billstein

CamaroJesse
11-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Im wondeing which shock to go with. its a 68 camaro. front suspension is ats tall spindles and hotchis 2 in. drop springs. rear suspenison is mini tubbed with dse 3 in. drop springs. The car will be mostly street driven but driven hard and a few autocross events and maybe road raceing once a year or so. I dont mind a harsh ride but not too harsh. If there are any other shocks to consider I am open to options.

thanks

Jim Nilsen
11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
the Edelbrock shocks have recieved some really good comments over the last few years. The konis are nice because they are rebuildable and the Bilsteins are top rated too. Qa1's can be even more adjustable too.

So ask yourself if you can grow with a set of shocks and rebuild or adjust for your current needs as they change with your car and your budget. most really good shocks blow the budget if you don't have a big one to begin with which leaves most of us with replacing them as we step up to the new upgrades.

Hopefully you will get a better answer from others and maybe you will have to think a bit more about your progressive goals and give us a budget to decide with.

CamaroJesse
11-26-2007, 08:54 PM
as for my budget. i would probably say no more then $150 a piece.

Blown353
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
the Edelbrock shocks have recieved some really good comments over the last few years.

I run a set... while decent with stock spring rates they are way out of their league trying to deal with heavier rates than stock, and they seem to lose their initial effectiveness after about a year or so.

Better than KYB and the likes... for sure. But not in the same league as Koni, Bilstein, Varishock, etc.

For $150/each budget and being you are running Hotchkis springs, I'd say buy the Hotchkis Bilsteins or the DSE Konis. Or if you want adjustables get a set of QS1 Varishocks.

neki67
11-27-2007, 12:48 AM
. . . or the DSE Konis. Or if you want adjustables get a set of QS1 Varishocks.

FYI; the Koni's are (rebound) adjustable but you have to take 'm from the car to do so.

CamaroJesse
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
So im thinking im between konis and bilsteins. how adjustable are the konis? are they worth buying them over the bilsteins? and as far as the varishocks, are they easy to adjust? and is it worth getting an adjustable shock if i wont be racing all the time?

neki67
11-27-2007, 10:16 AM
You have to press the pistonrod completely in and turn it till you feel it engage into the slots. It gives you plenty of adjustability. They are rebuildable too.

I don't have experience with the Bilsteins (remember I'm Dutch, Koni's are Dutch, Bilsteins are German) but there are quite a few around here who give 'm raving reviews, specially when you have the Hotchkiss springs and the Bilsteins revalved to match the Hotchkiss spring rates.

JustinB
11-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I was in your same situation and just decided to pony up and go with Varishocks. I would rather pay a little more now rather than have to replace everything down the road which ends up costing you double. Plus they really are not that much more than you are willing to spend. I would call Mark at SC&C.

MyStylesTheBomb
11-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Howdy. I don't know your cars, but I've run both. Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks are fantastic for street performance, they are supple around town and tight when you're on it. Mine are not adjustable, if you can find adjustable Bilsteins that'd be great. The Heavy Duty ones are different than regular, make sure you get the HDs if you go that way.

Konis are a lot rougher, they lack the smooth ride of the Bilsteins. The adjustability can be a pain. They are more performance oriented, much less street.

The main thing is you need to match up the springs, roll bar, and shocks. If you have real high rate springs the Konis might be better. If the springs are mid-rate (at the wheel, around 200 lbs), then the Bilsteins will be better, IMHO.

There's a definate relationship between the rest of the suspension package and the shocks you need.

Also I just installed single adjustable QA1s on the front of my 66 Fairlane GT with a 390 FE, set on 7 out of 12, and they are reall nice, similar to Bilstein. $160 each. Rear shocks are the HD Bilsteins. I'd strongly consider the QA1s if they are available and affordable to you.

FWIW, Scott

Edit: Also check out the QA1 catalog, they have charts showing how much variability. At 3 in/sec velocity you can set 'em on rebound from around 40 to over 300 lbs! Similar for jounce, a little less. Very large range of variability, just stick a pick flat screwdriver thru the springs to adjust. No removal!

CamaroJesse
11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Im thinking about getting the revalved bilsteins from hotchkis. Are these shocks the heavy duty ones?

Blown353
11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Remember, the Hotchkis Bilsteins are a specific part number and specifically valved for the Hotchkis springs. That's why they were my first recommendation-- they're already tuned to the springs. I don't think you'll do much better as far as a match goes for those springs especially for the very reasonable price of the hotchkis bilsteins.

As far as QA1's, Varishocks are a design evolution and better in every way-- made 100% in the USA too. The Varishocks are much more consistent for adjustments and don't drift nearly as much when they're worked hard. A much better shock for nearly the same price as QA1.

rocketman
11-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Koni's IMO are the best shock out there

MyStylesTheBomb
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Howdy. Not to hijack the thread, but it was posted that " As far as QA1's, Varishocks are a design evolution" - I'm curious, in what way? I'm always looking for better handling and it seemed the QA1 and Varishock were similar. How's the Varishock better in terms of engineering or implementation or whatever? I'm sure you're right, I'm just trying to learn more. The 66 Fairlane shocks have the funky double skinny stud posts on the bottom which really limits what I can get, but there is a direct Varishock listing.

Just to totally bring this offtrack - anyone know of a way to convert the double stud mount to a common lower eyelet mount? Saw these on the Jeep sites and they looked interesting...

http://www.trailquest.com/teraflex/tj/shock_adapter.shtml

I dunno, just trying to figure things out, any help appreciated, apologies in advance to original poster, mebbe I should start a new thread.

- Scott

chicane67
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
John's revalved Bilsteins would be the way to go... IMHO.

rocketman
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
A Qa1 isn't a gas charged shock so as the temp in the shocks go up you get shock fade, which is when the oil foams, they are really only good for drag racing. And not designed for the street look at the spring rates they use 350 for a slammed car, wont work

Revalved Bilsteins only give you one setting, valved for one set of springs, you should go ahead and get the adjustable Koni's at least the single adjustable.

chicane67
12-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Bilsteins only need one setting... as they are velocity dependant. You know the spring rate... it makes it simple.

CamaroJesse
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Sounds like ill be going with the bilsteins since they are tuned for my springs. thanks.

MyStylesTheBomb
12-03-2007, 05:48 AM
OK, done screwing up this thread with this. Just to make sure folks don't have misunderstings, but I asked QA1 about their shocks and here's what they said:

Scott-
The Stocker Star line is all twin tube with a gas bag to eliminate areation. This design gives you the best of both worlds as you have the aeration control of a gas shock without the issue of leaking seals. The Stocker Stars are also fully owner rebuildable, revalvable and repairable. With the wide valving adjustments they work with all different types of suspensions and components.

Hope this helps!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Reed Styve
QA1 Motorsports
Technical Dept.

milehigh69
12-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I have 4 each Bilstein shocks that are one year old if you are interested. I have just purchased an air ride system and will not need them anymore. They ride firm and in control.

1FstChevy
12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Yep I'd strictly go for the Bilstein/Hotchkis HPS1000 shocks if your running a Hotchkis TVS setup.

I'll be installing the HPS 1000s on my 2nd gen shortly, but it surprises me how many people stiffen their suspension and then just get Bilstein shocks designed for OEM Camaros, of course its still a good shock, but not going to take full advantage of your suspension setup without that ideal valving in the HPS 1000s. And I'm more inclined to trust a manufacturer thats exclusively worked with suspension dampening for decades, unlike companies like Edlebrock who may know motor shtuff, but shocks? come on! and besides Bilstein is German! :)

The best deal you'll get on them should be from www.ajusa.com
I'm not affliated with the website but I've spent plenty of money with them over the years and service has always been top notch. Not to mention the lowest price and free shipping! Thats also who I purchased my Hotchkis kit from.

& too all you who say Koni's are the best shocks, I disagree!!!

CamaroJesse
12-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok i need some help now. i went to go order the hps1000 bilsteins yesterday and in the picture on the website i see that the way the rear shock mounts wont work on my car. i have the DSE mini tub kit. it will work for the top mount but not for the bottom. i need a shock setup just like the Koni mini tub shock that DSE offers. but i really wanted those revalved bilsteins. wht do i do?