PDA

View Full Version : competition engineering frame rails 1st gen

JimW
11-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Anyone have competition engineering rear frame rails installed in a 1st gen PT car?

If not .. would anyone think that it would be better if using these rails to just move them inboard rather then use a leaf spring relocator kit like the one that comes with the min tub dse kit?

HILROD
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
There are a few cars here with formed rear rails. They could easily be installed inward for more clearance.

chassisguy
11-25-2007, 03:52 PM
If your planning on putting a bigger tire under it your gonna have to move the springs in anyways, i just used those frame rails on a 68 camaro they work good and are stronger than stock but, I did not use stock floor and trunk pan, the only reason i used them is the stock frame rails were kinked and the floor pans were toast! And they allow you to retain the rear seat! If you dont have any rust problems it would be easy enough to make your own offset shackes, I have made them out of 2in wide by 1/4in thick flat bar, just heat it in a vise and bend with a big cresent wrench then drill the wholes,

JimW
11-25-2007, 04:48 PM
The reason I'm replacing them is that the rear rails are kinked from a collision back in the 70's. The trunk floor is decent .. but i was going to replace it anyway since everything around it is toast. So you recomend trying to use a stock trunk floor or fab a new one around the comp eng. rails?

I'm also replacing the rear tailpanel and tail panel brace .. have no plans of running bumpers .. allready have a fuel tank narrowed to 31inches wide.(stock is 39inches i think)

any more info would help with the planing stages.

pumpgasdrags
11-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Dumb question, but what all is needed to install the CE frame rails? I'm sure welding is involved, if you can elaborate a bit for me that'd be awesome.

Also, do you necessarily have to use the CE subframe connectors with these rails or is that just a marketing thing to make you buy their products?

For say, I wouldn't use the stock leaf springs, I'd be looking at aftermarket suspension like the DSE quadra-link stuff. TIA

JimW
11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I emailed Comp Eng asking about the 3031 kit for the 1st gens and this is what I got back.. Wich is good news for me because it saves alittle money on DSE spring relocators.

CE"All of our formed frame rail kits are made to move the leaf springs and
frame rail dimensions inward to allow for more tire clearance. We do not
have an installation sheet for any of the formed rails however they all will
require modifications to either the stock trunk pan or fuel tank area
because they all go straight back as opposed to bowing out like the stock
rails"CE

chassisguy
11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I have never used the CE frame rails with the stock floor so i cant help you there, but from my experience if you have the proper equiptment and a little thing called talent, it is easier and looks better to fabricate your own floor rather than modify and purchase new trunk pan. Just my 2cents

68ls1wannabe
11-27-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm in the process of doing it right now. They are stronger than stock but come at a price of choping up your intire trunk. Not bad for me cause i'm planning on a total sheet metal trunk. If you want to look stock, which i don't, maybe it's not the way for u. As far as the back seat I believe it will fit with some minor mods. I'm making my own subframe connectors that are running straight through the floor. Here's some pics.

chassisguy
11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
The car i just finish with those frame rails i made my own subframe connecters, and it has stock back seat with a few mods to the seat frame, and i will post some pics within a few days

MuscleRodz
11-28-2007, 07:17 AM
I emailed Comp Eng asking about the 3031 kit for the 1st gens and this is what I got back.. Wich is good news for me because it saves alittle money on DSE spring relocators.

CE"All of our formed frame rail kits are made to move the leaf springs and
frame rail dimensions inward to allow for more tire clearance. We do not
have an installation sheet for any of the formed rails however they all will
require modifications to either the stock trunk pan or fuel tank area
because they all go straight back as opposed to bowing out like the stock
rails"CEThis is not cheaper than just buying DSE relocators if that is what you are trying to do. They no way fit the contour of the stock floor. I used them and had to cut the completely apart and put them back together to fit the stock floor contour. Then as the mention, because they are straight, I ended up narrowing the stock floor pan 9" which eliminates to stock tank support structure. These frame rails will add thousands of dollars to your bill or hundreds of hours of time if you do it yourself over buying factory frame rails and DSE spring relocators.

Mike

JimW
11-28-2007, 07:06 PM
I guess i made it sound like I was looking for cheaper .. I'm looking for stronger and running a very large width rim/tire.

But your right i could just spend a saturday replacing both rails with stock ones(be like a regular work day). Whats the challenge in that.:smoke:

Any pics of the car you did ?

This is not cheaper than just buying DSE relocators if that is what you are trying to do. They no way fit the contour of the stock floor. I used them and had to cut the completely apart and put them back together to fit the stock floor contour. Then as the mention, because they are straight, I ended up narrowing the stock floor pan 9" which eliminates to stock tank support structure. These frame rails will add thousands of dollars to your bill or hundreds of hours of time if you do it yourself over buying factory frame rails and DSE spring relocators.

Mike

MuscleRodz
11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
I guess i made it sound like I was looking for cheaper .. I'm looking for stronger and running a very large width rim/tire.

But your right i could just spend a saturday replacing both rails with stock ones(be like a regular work day). Whats the challenge in that.:smoke:

Any pics of the car you did ?Car is still not finished but here is the initial install pics. Although these are CE rails, they in no way represent what you get out of the box any more.