PDA

View Full Version : Using DSE quadralink for other applications

ProMC1
11-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Has anyone used the Quadralink for no specific vehicles. I'm not sure how strong these links really are but they seem like they would work well for a paralel 4 link and still offer great flexibility in a roadcourse enviroment. I'm building an A-body GM. It will have a custom 4-link in it because the customer wants to keep a back seat. You can buy the bars separate in 2' or 4' and cut them to length. I talked to DSE and they said that they are developing A-body stuff now and when I explained to the guy what I wanted to do he said that this was the direction they were headed with it. While not pictured in the ad's the RS Chevelle chassis is using their arms also. I see a lot of high horsepower Camaro's that have this set up and while they look nice, I think they would break the car in half it you hooked it hard. Any comments? thanks Weldon

Randyn
11-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

I really don't want to hijack the thread because my question refers to a 69 camaro.

I was wondering how the morrison angular 4 bar woould compare to the DSE. Morrison offers a complete set-up with what looks like frame rails. It looks to be really strong.

I have wondered the same thing regarding the strength of a DSE set-up in a high horsepower car. It looks like the attachment points would rip out the floors/trunk areas.

My motor is a EFI 450" Dart little chief. Should be 950 hp w/o the nitrous, could be more but we built it to copy a nascar motor. It also has a Wilson twin fogger.

ProMC1
11-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I seached the archives and saw that someone else recently asked the same question and the thread just dead ended. We have only built Pro street and race cars in the past. Even building them as tough as possible, we have broken and then resigned alot of stuff. Building the rear suspension of this car is easy for us but I get tunnel vision and for this build we really wanted to try stuff we haven't done before and I think the technology is there to build a killer street car that can run low 9's and corner with the best of them. I haven't held one of these twist arms in my hand yet but, I think I might order them to see if we could use them. Most of the bolt on Chassis makers will not talk about durability or strength. I'm not sure if they really don't know, or if their concern is to just make sure it looks pretty. I would never attach a rear link bracket to anything other than a frame or cage structure. Weldon

BossaNova
11-23-2007, 05:43 AM
. I would never attach a rear link bracket to anything other than a frame or cage structure. Weldon

Yo. I'm not an engineer, nor do I pretend to be one. However, this was my concern with my '67 Chevy II rear suspension.

I went with a 4-link for the rear that more closely approximates a ladder bar set up than a triangulated 4-link. No major surgery to the floor pan and the back seat is intact.

Time will tell.............

-Mark

gt1guy
11-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I'd be leery about links with moving parts on them with lots of power. I just don't think they would play well together. I have my doubts about whether the q-link actually addresses the problems of the tri 4link at all. It seems to me, that it's working in the wrong plane.

I was wondering how the Morrison angular 4 bar would compare to the DSE.

They would probably be exactly the same.

The suspension you want to run 9s isn't what you'd want to go around corners, at all. Things like RRCH, AS%, IC height, SVSA length all come to mind, and there's more.
Now, a car setup for corners with lots of power will still run a respectable time, but don't expect it to carry the front wheels for the first 60'. It's two completely different worlds.

If I was going to try to pull off what you want, I'd look long and hard at the Satchell link.

My motor is a EFI 450" Dart little chief. Should be 950 hp w/o the nitrous

I'm planning a Little Chief for my 72. I take it your running lots of compression? I want to run 11:1 on pump gas. The fun part is going be getting some lowend power and still be ably to spin it to 8000.

Kevin

Randyn
11-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Ya.. your right....15:1 with a flat top. I said, what the hell, it is not a daily driver. Plus the smell of race gas to me is mucho enjoyable.

I'll dig up a pict of the intake. It was at the Wilson booth at the PRI show in Orlando, FL

Looks pretty trick with the 2000 CFM Billet Dominator throttle body from wilson. Especially on top of the Wilson spacer!

Point on the rear suspension is that the attachments of the DSE seem to be on the cars body, where as the Morrison has the bars attached to the frame rails from his kit?

Randy

gt1guy
11-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Point on the rear suspension is that the attachments of the DSE seem to be on the cars body, where as the Morrison has the bars attached to the frame rails from his kit?

Though having never put my eyes on either kit. It looks like DSE is trying to tie into the stock stamped frame rails and not just the sheetmetal body. But, that's betting your whole wad that the stock rails are good. AME has taken a smarter approach in my opinion.

Another fine example of how to do it right is Lateral Dynamics. Look at how Mark does his upper arm mount. It's clean, well thought out, and very strong.

Kevin

gearhead1186
12-13-2007, 11:07 AM
i wuld like to see this thread continue.. i am between dse q-link and some other setup such as ame's rear clip or lateral dynamics

ProMC1
12-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I will keep everyone posted as I do this car. I ordered the Twist bars today from DSE. They have no brackets for sale for the rear housing so I'll have to fab them and the frame mounts. It will be an ADJUSTABLE 4-link using the twist bars and most likely a Watts Link locator.