PDA

View Full Version : Installing Floorpans!!

Flight396
01-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey,
I'm going to be installing the 2 full lenth floorpans I bought for my 68' Camaro, and I was wondering what anyone thinks the best thing to use after I install/weld them. The floorpans come with somesort of black primer/e-coat (from year-one) and I've sanded that off all the way around the pan for a clean surface, as well ground off a clean edge where there going in the car. So after I ground down my welds is the best thing to use just primer? Or someosort of e-coat? I've heard not to use POR-15 on new metal, only on rusty metal. Any help would be great! Thanks. I'll post pics as soon as I complete the job! :icon996:

baz67
01-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I would guess some epoxy primer would do the trick.

Brian

indyjps
01-16-2005, 05:59 PM
isnt there a weld thru primer? seems like ive heard about it somewhere but cant remember the details.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-16-2005, 06:03 PM
There are a bunch of companies that offer weld-through primers. 3M would probably be your best bet. I used a weld through primer on one spot of my floor pan, and I didn't like it. It was harder to weld, and required more heat than the other areas. Some guys swear by weld through primers, and some don't bother with them, I'm one of the latter.

parsonsj
01-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Weld-through primers do require more heat, but can provide some corrosion resistance at the spot of the weld. I've used the 3M stuff a lot. Recommended.

You will still need to seal the panel and topcoat it.

jp

Flight396
01-17-2005, 08:29 AM
JP-
What would you use to seal and topcoat it with? I'm probably not going to go with a weld-through primer, I think I'll just use a nice epoxy when grinding is done. Would the epoxy be a sealer?? Thanks for the responses so far!