PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use ABStrax or Brakeguard?

DarkBuddha
01-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with either the ABStrax or Brakeguard systems. Both are supposedly 100% mechanical anti-lock brake systems, but I really believe they're really something similar to a (reverse?) residual valve, using some sort of spring loaded piston to take up pressure spikes in the brake system; the claim being reduced stopping distance, resistance to wheel lock, better pad life, lower brake effort. I also know both were successfully sued by the NHTSA to stop advertising their products as ABS systems, which effectively killed their market pressence (though I know the Brakeguard guy is still selling his at RV parks and shows).

Anyway, I first heard of both systems from circle track racers I knew that used the systems in the late '80s and early '90s. They claimed the systems were effective... I just wondered if anyone here had any personal experience with them?

Here are a couple pics...

Jagarang
01-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Long ago I wanted to install one of these and was told not to bother. If anyone has any info I'd be interested also.