PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor inline oiler

JMarsa
11-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm plumbing a new compressor and want to run something like this:

air/oil seperator-> regulator -> Tee to a Oiler and then a std fitting for a blow gun.

Does this make sense? Anything wrong with the set-up?

--JMarsa

Jim Nilsen
11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
At work we run the air filter/ water seperator,regulator and then the oilers. The oilers are a pain it the but and really never get the oil to most of the equipment it is supposed to reach most of the time because the distance from the oiler is too far or it will go to one point in the end of the system and collect or the most used part of the line and do the same.

I like the simplest and largest air filter/seperator you can afford and then the regulator to the rest of the system. For lubing your tools you can get individual oilers for each one or you can make it go from one to another with quick disconnects. This way you never get any contamination in your lines that may get used for painting someday.

We use Rockspin 22 air oil at work wich is suppose to atomize to lube our air valves. For the most part it seems to work about half of the time. The closer the oiler is to the needed equipment the better off you are for it to help.

For years I just used the aerosol spray air tool oil from Curtis / Bowman now and just spray it in the inlet of my air tools. This always gave me the best and most assured results.

The concept of running a tee after the regulator and having one line for each need is not a bad one at all it just depends how big of a system you are installing?

One thing is certain, if you are not going to be using air all of the time and are going to let the system depressurize don't go any bigger than 1/2" unless you are running over 100' total or you will spend a lot of time and money pressurizing your lines back up over the years that you don't need to. Also consider putting in a storage tank that you can bypass and isolate for small jobs that you won't need the big supply for. I have a 14 gallon tank that I isolate and keep filled so that I don't have to start up the compressor for a little bit of air.

Goodluck

P.S. did you find a windsheild for the Ford GT?

JMarsa
11-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the reply!!

I have an 80 Gallon Kobalt (model K7580V2) with these specs:

5HP
2 Stage
100% duty cycle
15.2 scfm @ 175 PSI
17.1 scfm @ 90 PSI
3 YR warranty!
82 DB

I'm just getting it running. My Garage has two adjacent 14' wide bays and the unit is in the corner. I'm running all 3/4" black pipe. I have a 10' run from the unit to the end of the first bay (middle of the shop) and then a vertical leg of about 4' and back down to about 42" off the ground where the regulator section will start. From there I'll only need about 40' of hose to work anywhere in the shop.

I don't plan on draining the lines, I have an automatic tank drainer installed at the bottom of the tank that spits for a second every time the compressor cycles on. Between that and the air/oil separator I shouldn't have too much trouble with water in the lines and I'll never paint a car in there. If I were to spray anything else I think I'd add a desiccant unit and particulate filters as well.

From what I've read it's good to have a cool down section from the compressor and the risers allow the dry air to rise leaving the condensation in the line behind.

As for oilers, link you said I've heard of keeping them close to the tools. I've also thought of adding an inline unit that I can use with a "whip" on a short piece of hose.

BTW, wasn't me with the windshield, wish I had THOSE kind of problems!

--JMarsa