PDA

View Full Version : Late model swap -- belts mounted to seat

kst8engineer
01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Help me out, guys -- I'm looking for ideas. In my '71 Chevelle, I'm looking to upgrade the front seats and the seat belts (it only has laps in the front currently). I'd like to improve driver restraint (and comfort) in the seat, so I thought about using some Corbeau-style 4-point belts, but I can't since the back seat has to remain usable for my kid(s). That means no roll bar, and no "straight back" tie-in for the upper seat belt straps.

I'm wondering about swapping front buckets out of a newer vehicle that have the shoulder strap retractor built into the backrest of the seats. I've seen a few vehicles like this, but I'm not sure what (my Mom's Buick?!). Help me think of a vehicle that would have well supported (well bolstered) seats that have the shoulder strap retractor built into the backrest of the seat... Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Galen

Kenova
01-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my Nova. My daily driver is an '04 Silverado with seat belts integrated with the seats. They are without a doubt the best belt system I've ever used.
BMW uses a similar system in their convertables, as does Chrysler (in some) and so does Cadillac. The exact models, I don't know. The Chevy/GMC truck seats are fairly comfortable and are available in leather, but lack any serious side bolstering.
If you are shopping in the 'yards, keep in mind that the seats must fold forward for back seat access. Seats from some four door models may not do this. Reinforcing the seat mounts may be a good idea in case of an accident. Keep in mind that the seat mounts must handle the force of having someone strapped in to them.
If you find other sources for this type of seat, let me know. The longer the list of pssible seats, the better.
Ken

David Pozzi
01-16-2005, 08:44 PM
There is a seat belt sholder mount next to the coat hook on my 67 Camaro and it didn't even come with sholder harness. I'll bet yours has them too.
In the attached photo, a 68 camaro, look to the left, there are three holes, the outer two are threaded, I believe the sholder harness bolts to the two outer holes. Feel thru your headliner for them.
David

kst8engineer
01-17-2005, 10:06 AM
You're right, my Chevelle has them too. Mine actually came with shoulder harnesses, but they were a crappy setup (two separate receivers, one for the lap belt and one for the shoulder strap). I considered using these mounts and just going with a later model retractable 3-point setup (like the ones Wesco sells), but I like the belt-integrated-into-the-seat idea since the shoulder strap wouldn't be in the way when I need to put the kids in the back seat.

That's a good point as well about bracing the seat mounts, that's definitely something to consider. I had thought about the late model Chevy truck seats as you mentioned, but I wasn't overly impressed by their bulkiness and lack of bolstering. You gave me quite a few ideas, though, with the ones you mentioned. It sounds like some web surfing is in order to try to find interior pictures of some of the possible donors...

Thanks -- any other ideas, anyone?

Jasons68
01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I too have been thinking about this for a while. I have a vert so Its difficult to find a shoulder harness set up.

The sebring seats are probably the most common one I think will work and fit. I think the truck ones are too big IMO and might not look as good as something from a sedan.

The BMW ones are by far the best looking ones I have seen, but I have never seen any for sale used!

Another thing to keep in mind is I have heard that the automatic tensioner will not work unless it is hooked up to some type of factory controller. Now, I dont know if this means the belt will work just like our original ones (stays at the tightness you put it on at) or it will not tighten at all.

Please let us know if you find out anything new. I would love to see this be done (especially the BMW seats!), but I cant afford to be experimental :drive2: .

Good luck!

justanova
01-17-2005, 06:41 PM
I work on BMW's so i can shed a little light on this subject, any seats out of the 2000 and up 3 series convertibles will have the seatbelt integrated into the seat, the sport seats and the m3 convert. seats have really good side bolstering and are pretty comfortable as well.

I have sport seats out of a 4door 3series and with all of the electric drives on the bottom of the seat, they will be too tall(in my nova) unless the floorpan is modified to drop them down. I don't know if the chevelle floorpan would have similar issues. The seats I have will have the same height etc... as a convertible seat so if you require any measurments like seat cushion heght from the seat rail mounts just holler and I will make the measurements for you.

as far as the tensioners are concerned they have a pyrotechnic tensioner that pulls the seatbelt tighter in the event of a crash, but they also have the mechanism where if you pull on the belt fast they will lock. it would be rather impractical to have all the modules to run the pyrotechnic tensioner. but the 3point harness with the lock when you pull on it would be far safer than the original seatbelts.

Keep in mind that the seat mounts must handle the force of having someone strapped in to them.

that is a very good point, if you run these type of seats the points where the seat bolt to the floor take all of the stress of keeping you where your suppossed to be (in the seat) so the floor mounts have to be strong.

also another good feature of these seats if you are able to find them from a wrecking yard, get the seats complete with the pigtail of the harness that plugs into the seat because if they are equipped with memory then all you have to do is run constant power and ground to the seat module and the memory feature will work.

hope this helps.