PDA

View Full Version : 1962 impala winter project

tbair
01-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey everyone, This is my first post and thought Id share my winter project with everyone. Its a 1962 impala 2 door h/t. The frame is just now in paint, the body just back from being blasted. motor and trans are being rebuilt. a 85 z-28 tpi and 700r4.Its goinging to be dupont hot hues smooth yellow w/ a carbon fiber hood. Im stuck on wheel and tire combo and suspension? I like the look of air bags but wanted a little more of a performance suspension. wheel and tires are up in the air too. I like the look of 20 rear 18 front but not sure if it will work without the bags.also cant deside on what wheel? I thought about a billet wheel or like a torque thrust 2 w/ the gray center.Id like to hear what you think. Thanks Tim

Bill Howell
01-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Tim,
That sounds like a cool project :icon996: , I love 61 bubble tops but have never found a decent body reasonable priced. I am sorry but I can not be of much help on the tire/wheel size issue since those cars have different wheel wells. That totally trick green 61 or 62 biscayne(I can not think of its name) that has been in the mags. would have some good info. Good Luck and post some pictures.
Oh Yeah, Welcome to the site!!

Edit: Try this site for info there Tim (Thanks for the site Kris)
www.chicayne.com

Ralph LoGrasso
01-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Tim,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a very cool project you have there. If you really want bags, and also performance, take a look at Air Ride Technologies "Shock Wave" system. It's the best of both worlds. A slammed car, and excellent performance. A few mags have recently tested this system, including PHR and they seemed to be very impressed by it. Just something to look into.

http://www.ridetech.com/

slownova
01-16-2005, 12:34 AM
be careful what you post about big rim combos, people might tell you that your wrong. for what its worth my 19x8s and 22x10s fit on a 62 impala with little to no rub issues. car ever sits down on them nicely.

tbair
01-16-2005, 08:18 AM
thanks for the help, Ralph ive been reading on the shock wave seems to be a great product. but cost seems pretty high about 3500 for top of the line system. Slownova, for running 22/19 on a 62? what size tires are you running and what suspension? any pics Thanks Tim

phonedude_mln
01-16-2005, 10:25 AM
gotta love the full-size cars. here is an absolutely *beautiful* 62 Impala:

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0301PHR_Remix/

paint, stance, engine -- everything is beautiful. this one is more p/s than
p/t, but it is still good in my book:

http://chevyhiperformance.com/featuredvehicles/90629/

obligatory Ford reference:

http://www.fakesnake.com/starliner.htm

obviously not an impala, but similar enough to get ideas from.

post pics when you've got 'em.

slownova
01-16-2005, 11:53 AM
the tires are 285x30-22 and a 245x40-19. i'll take some pics sometime this week. they were just put on the car as a joke as thier goin on my chevelle. it was the stock suspention lowered a couple inches i belive? only thing it hit was the exaust, which could be easily solved. i have shockwaves on my car and trust me you can not do any better then that. thier almost as nice as my QA-1 coil overs i took out to put them on. they cost alot but way way worth the money. im interested in your car. where did you get a carbon fiber hood? that sounds like a really nice car, must have pictures.

Bill Howell
01-16-2005, 11:54 AM
for running 22/19 on a 62? what size tires are you running and what suspension?

Tim,
The chicayne has that combo on it. I am sure it was a no budget project but they were able to tuck those under the sheetmetal on it. :icon996:

tbair
01-16-2005, 12:17 PM
slownova,pics would be great.the hood was made by spitzer racing. local race shop 2000.00 for the hood. 46yearoldkid. the chicayne, is a great ride got to see it on a lift for airride tech. booth last year the suspension is all trick components. 3 link rear custom made front drag link you name it it had it. my buget is a little less than the chicaynes.Ill post some pics as I go.

tbair
01-16-2005, 12:41 PM
phonedude, thanks for the links love the 62 and the starliner.

indyjps
01-16-2005, 04:54 PM
sounds like a good project and youre headed in the right direction. pm me if you need any trim items, a friend has been pulling trim off impalas for years. as the yards are closing he'll strip the hopeless cars before they get hauled off.

tbair
01-16-2005, 05:15 PM
thanks indyjps, Ill keep that in mind, Are you in Indy?