PDA

View Full Version : impact wrench air pressure

mhotel1
11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I am trying to gun down my pinion nut and crush the crush sleeve on the differential. My impact wrench is not able to handle it at the reccomended 90lbs of air pressure. Thinking of cranking the pressure up to about 130lb range. I know sounds like i could end up on america's funniest redneck videos but....Will it ruin my impact wrench or can it be done with little problem? I have heard both ways any experience with it?

Vegas69
11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
A 1969 camaro only had a max of 425 horsepower too.:bananna2: I think a few of us have exceeded that figure. Crank it up a little bit. If the manufacturer says 90 thats so you don't use the warranty. I have mine set at 100 psi.

mhotel1
11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
cranked up to 125lbs and still cant get that damn sleeve to crush...oh well the wrench made it through no problems anyway

chevelle19700
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
spray some wd40 in the air nozzle then hook it up that should give you the power you need i run everyone of my impacts at 125 and have never had a problem but when i cant get a nut to bust i spray some wd 40 in where the air line hooks up and my impact comes to life

amx2334
05-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Oiling it should help.Marvel mystery oil. The shop I worked at had 175psi at the gun. Never had a problem as long as they are quality tools. Also make sure your hoses are up to it.

VenturaII
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I run everything at 175 lbs. The only tool that seemed to act up was an air file.

HarleyR
05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you need a better impact....

neki67
05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
You can first crush the sleeve in a vice and then it will be lots easier to torque it to the proper spec. Obivously you should first measure the old sleeve and crush the new one to a value in between the old and the new one.

It's a trick from an expert I read about in one of the mags a couple of years ago. Done it myself that way and seems to work.

Oh and a different (read: better, more expensive) impact makes all the difference in the world!

justasquid
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I thought using an impact wrench on that was a no no? I thought going nice slow and easy was the way to go with a breaker bar?

I'm not trying to correct anyone, I'm actually wondering if I'm wrong?

as for the impact, its not just psi, you need volume too. Check to make sure your hose dia is sufficient for the gun your using.

Jim Nilsen
06-01-2008, 08:26 AM
spray some wd40 in the air nozzle then hook it up that should give you the power you need i run everyone of my impacts at 125 and have never had a problem but when i cant get a nut to bust i spray some wd 40 in where the air line hooks up and my impact comes to life

The instructions always read: OIL DAILY and sometimes it is embossed right in the tool. Sometimes all you have to do is tear down and clean them real well and reassemble with light oil and you will think you have a new impact.

ls1 nova
06-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm with Justasquid. I have never used an impact on my crush collar, just a big breaker bar. You go to far and the sleeve is junk. Not really a torque spec as suggested above but a rotating "torque" is how you set up the crush collar. Just my .02