PDA

View Full Version : 5" gauges in stock console

Stupidnewbie
01-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I've seen quite a few 1st gens with 5" Ultralite tach/speedo in the stock console and I'm doing the same. Are there any tricks to mounting them solidly and flush? Did you guys cut the console at all? Thanks!

Einstein1
01-15-2005, 07:13 PM
No they pretty much fit like a glove if your going to do it though check ebay. You can pick up gauges way cheaper. like an autometer 4494 for 169.99 new on ebay. Just reuse the stock pieces of metal on the back for support and thats it. Covans classic also has some designs but they are quite flimsy, at least mine is. But both work.

sunkistcamaro
01-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Do you have any pics?
I 'd like to see what that looks like.

boodlefoof
01-16-2005, 08:39 AM
I've done it. www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/newinterior20

sunkistcamaro
01-16-2005, 09:01 AM
That looks great!! :cool:
Makes me wish my 69 had the same dash..
Has anyone done that in a 69?
I know about all the aftermarket dashes, looking for a stock dash upgrade.

MuscleRodz
01-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Almost everyone one I have seen done has been slid in from the front. I installed mine from the back to give a more OE look. I reused the original guage carrier to support the Autometer guages.

Mike

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-16-2005, 01:14 PM
No they pretty much fit like a glove if your going to do it though check ebay. You can pick up gauges way cheaper. like an autometer 4494 for 169.99 new on ebay. Just reuse the stock pieces of metal on the back for support and thats it. Covans classic also has some designs but they are quite flimsy, at least mine is. But both work.

You said the Covan is a little flimsy. Are you currently using the Covan unit ?? I have Covan Carbon Fiber panel I haven't cut out for my gauges yet. How flimsy is this unit installed?? If it's that flimsy I might decide to use on of my "lesser quality" gauge clusters to mount my tach/spedo in. A little feedback and or pics would be appreciated. Especially a pic from directly behind the cluster.