PDA

View Full Version : Question for Craig Morrison

John McIntire
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I was checking out your site and was looking at the Max G chassis in particular. You say it is CAD designed to fit your year, make and model. And that you'll have to fabricate the body and core support mounts.
The question I have is that if it is CAD designed, how hard would it be to add the body mounts to the frame, right from you?
I'm just curious because I am just looking around at different options for aftermarket frames and it seems like you would be able to offer a "bolt in" frame much like you do for the Tri-5's.
Just a thought, I'm sure there is a lot more involved than I am thinking.
PS. Your Vette is unbelievable, great job!

CraigMorrison
11-12-2007, 06:50 AM
John- Thanks for the question! CAD is merely a method for dafting/designing our chassis and is the way our engineers design our chassis. We are moving to Solidworks which is a more sophisticated design package that will help reduce design time even more.

There are a number of things that dictate whether we will do a true bolt on chassis or not. The biggest factor is that for every bolt on chassis we do, there has to be a specific jig table created. It is a 500-600 hour task to do the chassis R&D, and build the table so everything is where it should be and when you get it, the chassis actually "bolts-up" to the bottom of your car. It's a HUGE investment for us to do this.

The second and right now the biggest issue is space. We are cramped for space! Jig tables for a full frame are about 17' long by 6' wide and then shelving for all of the chassis parts. In our current facility we just don't have room for new tables....

OK- so now that I've told you what our issues are, this is what we are doing to solve them.

1) Space- We have just rented an extra 10,000 sq ft from our neighbor to give us the extra space we need for more jig tables. We have one military chassis contract and one private label 4X4 chassis contract that we are working on right now and they will be the 1st tables out in the new building. We are also in the process of building a new Art Morrison Ent facility and we will have 35,000 sq. ft. under one roof, giving us plenty of room. The property, plans and permits are all designed so we can expand this new facility to a total of 85,000 sq. ft. when the time comes.

2)Chassis jigs- We have just recently made large investments in R&D tools, software and have hired another engineer to help speed up the process of bringing new bolt-on chassis to market. Art has some very, agressive plans and in the next few years we are going to be coming out with some really cool parts!

For '08 we will have a
2nd Gen front sub
1st Gen rear
and a few other items I can't let out of the bag yet.......

By your signature, I am guessing you are asking specifically about the Chevelle's? We are in the process of buying some cars and will begin on making a bolt-on chassis for these cars towards the end of 08 if things go smoothly.

I know its kind of long winded, but hopefully this answered your question.

oestek
11-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Craig -

Thanks for the insight on John's post - I really like the workmanship and engineering in Morrison products. I've said it before - some of your subframes and chassis are almost too nice to hide under a car! Keep up the great work!

- Kevin Oeste

John McIntire
11-12-2007, 08:21 AM
WOW! Thanks for all the great insider info! I knew it couldn't be that easy, because if it were, you'd be making them already!
It's a good thing to see that you guys are getting bigger and expanding in todays market, as you do make some killer products!

Bowtie racing
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
That reply really shows tru intrest for customer service !

68 LS1 Camaro
11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Can you give out any info on the rear suspension for 1st gen Camaro's? I'm at the point where I'm going to order my suspension parts. Going with the GT Sport full front clip but haven't decided on the rear yet.

Thanks
Mike

CraigMorrison
11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Mike- It is going to be completely different from what folks are doing now, so I can't let the cat out of the bag just yet......

68 LS1 Camaro
11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Sound's like I'll be waiting to order the rear stuff then. When do you expect it to be ready?

Thanks
Mike

SDMAN
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I took delivery of my Max-G frame/suspension a little over a month ago. Its a very hi quality piece. As stated previously in this thread, its a shame that it gets hidden away where it cant be seen.

formula98
12-28-2007, 10:14 AM
When will the Second Gen Camaro sub frame be available? Will it be in the same price range as the First Gen? Will it also use the C5 components?

Thanks Craig for the great info.

70ptta
12-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I want info on that second gen sub frame too. Im guessing its for camaros and firebirds?