PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Fire Saftey

vp23271
11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I got this email from a friend and thought I would post it. I normaly would not post something like this, but this short video shocked the hell out of me. I knew not to throw water on a grease fire, but never knew what it would look like if I did. Now I know! The entire email is below and the link to the short video is at the bottom.
---------------------------------------------------

This is worth making sure your family members see this video. It could save your home and your lives.

This is so important .. as old as I am I never heard of doing the wet towel thing... but I will remember it after seeing this.
Kitchen Fire Safety - Good reminder for everyone.....This is a powerful message----watch the video and don't forget what you see. Show your whole family this video. Or better yet, send this to them.
This is a dramatic video (30-second, very short) about how to deal with a common kitchen fire ... oil in a frying pan. Please read the following introduction and then watch the show It's a real eye-opener !!
At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with a deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a 10 foot pole toss water onto the grease fire. The results got the attention of the students.
The water, being heavier than the oil, sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.
Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite.
Please view this video clip: _Click Here_
(http://www.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv (http://www.ranaldofamily.com/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv))

Project69
11-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I watched something similar to this at the fire acdemey here. I keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

shmoov69
11-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I found this out years ago with hot tar (I am a roofer). Just not quite as bad, but same principal. Gets 550+ degree tar stuck to you!
Any pics or vids of the flour or sugar?

vp23271
11-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I was thinking and wouldn't the lid to the pot do the same thing as the damp rag?

TonyL
11-09-2007, 09:43 PM
the lid would be good too.

As a victim of third degree burns myself, I strongly urge you to share this vid with your family and your kids. Nothing hurts like being burned.

Nothing.

West Texas Z
11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
wow that was crazy!

Jim Nilsen
11-10-2007, 03:27 AM
I was always taught to put the lid on any fire on a stove 30 yrs ago and it has always worked just fine. The amount of time to get the towel wet and the fact that you will be apt to get water in the pan if you don't wring it out in all of the drama going on would be scary enough for me to not tell the wife to even consider getting water near it at all. Taking away the oxygen is the most important thing in the triangle of fire at that point because the fuel and the heat are already going out of control.

I keep a fire extiguisher in my kitchen and would still use the lid first because it would be just as handy if not more so.

This is a good video of what will happen, I never have heard about the sugar or flour being that explosive with grease but I have been aware of flour explosion and they are very powerful. A few grain bins have blown up around our area over the years.