PDA

View Full Version : Largest 12 bolt disc?

slownova
01-14-2005, 01:15 PM
whats the largest brake size that is out there for a 12 bolt? i have polished wilwood calipers in the front so i would kinda like to keep it close to the same. thanks for your imput :3gears:

Ralph LoGrasso
01-14-2005, 01:18 PM
I believe Wilwood makes a disc brake kit for 12 bolts with 12" rear discs.

OHCbird
01-14-2005, 04:42 PM
I've seen kits up to 14" for the street, and slightly larger for track use. What Wilwoods do you have, Dynalites, or the newer 6 pot?

slownova
01-15-2005, 01:31 AM
im not exactly sure what they are. they came with my B-body spindles from global west. track3 or something? im not sure.

KrisHorton
01-15-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm running SSBC's on my 12-bolt in the Chevelle and they are 14" slotted rotors with Force 10 4-piston calipers.

www.ssbrakes.com

Kris

baz67
01-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Do you want a kit or fab the brakes yourself? What size rear wheel are you running? It would be pointless to get larger rotors and then find out they will not fit in your wheel. We need more infor to get you the best answer possible. Ralph is correct on the Wilwood kit.

Brian

slownova
01-15-2005, 10:56 AM
well i have a 22in rim, thats why i was asking about the largest. i can fab something myself if it came down to it. let me know what you got in mind...

Bill Howell
01-15-2005, 07:47 PM
well i have a 22in rim

You must not be going after the handling thing then -right? I would think that with 22" you could pretty much just buy the biggest brakes offered and still have no clearance issues. I am just fishing here but are you lowering or raising this vehicle?

baz67
01-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Slownova, with that size of rims you are no longer building a pro-touring car. You are in hot rod and custom territory. That is fine if that is the direction you want to go.

46 is correct. You can fit about anything you want in those. Keep in mind you are reducing the cars capability in both braking and cornering power. With that size or wheel you will need larger brakes just to slow down. That is alot of mass to slow down.

If you fab or piece your own together do not forget about the ebrake. A kit like what Kris has may be a good option.

Brian

slownova
01-16-2005, 12:23 AM
i didn't relise the size of my rim was bad? the car has air-ride so i will be both lowering and raising the car. in my mind the car will still handle very well due to the global west componets and the correct use of air-ride, but who knows. i guess im on my own to figure this out :icon996:

Bill Howell
01-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Slownova,
It was not my intentions to insult you and if I did or you think I did I apologize. The only thing I know about you or your car is slownova. With that info only I guess you have a nova and from your last post I guess it is a 68-72? My gut impression when I read your post about 22's was "how do you get them in the fenderwells and sit a nova down". I thought you meant all the way around and all I could picture in my mind was the 71 olds someone posted this week. You had never mentioned the stuff that is in your post above so maybe you have all that figured out, if so :icon996: and if not :icon996: it is your car and you do it however you want, I was asking not judging. Tell you what, post a picture--we all love pictures.
Anyway, back to the question about the brakes, like Brian said, get the big stuff as our motto here is saftey first and you will need them when going to that size rim. A link to Baer pops up here about every two minutes so give them a call, they will have the answers.

slownova
01-16-2005, 11:47 AM
the car is a 70 chevelle SS. its ok that you think that way about the car, i relised no everyone would like it. i sent bear a email and they never got back to me. i'll try calling monday, same with wilwood. the car does tuck the 22s and the car lays inches from the ground. it has 19s in the front. no recent pics but this is what i have.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/01/77492698-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/01/77490277-1.jpg

the car can still go down a few inches.. thanks for the help so far.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Slownova. You may also give www.precisionbrakes.com a call. They're an excellent company to deal with (we ran a GP on wilwoods through them a year or so back). The best part about precision is that they do custom kits, so they can piece together something for you, if you don't find what you're looking for with Baer or Wilwood, and if you don't want to fab something yourself. I'm pretty sure the largest kit for 12 bolts wilwood offers is 12" discs, as I mentioned earlier. The largest rotor they make is a 14" rotor, and I believe it's used for C5 front kits among others, so you could always buy that rotor, and fab something yourself. How big are the discs on the front of your car? Are your calipers 4 or 6 piston?

slownova
01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
they are 13.5 i belive. its only a 4 piston caliper. i was thinking about steping it up to the 6 but i am going to wait to drive it to see how it acts. i don't plan on going very fast with the car so i think those will work, any thoughts?

Zefhix
01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Holy hell that's big back there!!! I saw 20's once on a 70 and was impressed!!!! dayum! I want to see the rest of the car! post up!
:firefire:

Ralph LoGrasso
01-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Based on your front brake setup, I would go with some 12 or 13" discs on the back with either less efficient 4 piston calipers, or 2 piston calipers. If you step up to 6 piston calipers up front, then run 4 piston calipers in the rear. As a general rule of thumb, the front brakes do 70% of the stopping (you can of course dial some more rear brake in with a prop. valve, but 70% is a good basis to start). Too much rear brakes will cause the rears to lock before the fronts and that will not be safe. It happened to Craig Boone in the 0-100-0 shootout a few years back.

ProdigyCustoms
01-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Dubs City! Look a lot like the 22s that I had on the Avalanche.