PDA

View Full Version : LS1 & LS6 Stroker Kits

Cdog
01-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Who does good work and do they have a website. I've read that the LS6 block is better than the LS1 block. To do a 408 ci kit do you sleeve the engine. I was planning on running a turbo or supercharger so a big stroker probably is unnessasary for me. But since i'd have to up grade the rotating assembly I might as well look into it. Is the 6.0 block better? I've read that they are now aluminum as of late 2004. Any comments?

Matt
01-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Well, ls1's are aluminum block as well.
How much power are you looking for?

Lunati makes a number of kits, and http://www.agostino-racing.com/ builds some really nasty ls1's.
If you are going turbo, think about getting a stock ls1, rebuilding it with an 8.5:1 compression, stock displacement kit from Lunati. Then putting something like a 78-86mm .9x A/R ratio turbo on it (depends on your wants in spool and max power). The tuning can be a little bit of a pain, but someone with mean ls1 edit skills can get it running well. That right there would be good for 650-750hp I'd say, with a good intercooler setup and piping.

The ls1 crank can take over 800hp, and the block can do quite well. Don't wrap it too high as I've heard above 7k rpms it's increasingly prone to crank walk.

The ls1 is such a good base that you really don't need to throw too much money at it to get serious power, just spend it wisely and you'll have something you are very happy with.

Cdog
01-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Well, ls1's are aluminum block as well.
How much power are you looking for?

Lunati makes a number of kits, and http://www.agostino-racing.com/ builds some really nasty ls1's.
If you are going turbo, think about getting a stock ls1, rebuilding it with an 8.5:1 compression, stock displacement kit from Lunati. Then putting something like a 78-86mm .9x A/R ratio turbo on it (depends on your wants in spool and max power). The tuning can be a little bit of a pain, but someone with mean ls1 edit skills can get it running well. That right there would be good for 650-750hp I'd say, with a good intercooler setup and piping.

The ls1 crank can take over 800hp, and the block can do quite well. Don't wrap it too high as I've heard above 7k rpms it's increasingly prone to crank walk.

The ls1 is such a good base that you really don't need to throw too much money at it to get serious power, just spend it wisely and you'll have something you are very happy with.

I was thinking of looking for someone who was upgrading to bigger CI and selling their stroker kit for a decent price. I can't decide if it would be better to buy a complete LS1 or piece one togather. Are the LS6 blocks better? I also heard the rods are powder forged ( wich makes them brittel and break high rpm ). I take it the cranks are forged? I've also heard the 6.0 L heads are better than the Z06 heads? Thanks for your input.

Payton King
01-14-2005, 10:55 AM
go to www.ls1tech.com and all things will be known. Seriously it is a great site for all things LSX.

Go to that site and go the the section, I think it is LS2/LS7, there is a company that is using a new LS2 block with all new forged stuff for $3995. That is a short block stroked to 408 ci I believe. I know that motor with a stg II head and very streetable cam made 500 rwhp natually aspirated if I remember correctly. There is also a turbo/sopercharger section as well.

To answer your question on the ls1 vs ls6 block. Origianlly the LS6 block was a little stronger and had a revised lower window section by the crank for better high RPM operation. Eventually all corvettes and f-bodys got the same block...I think starting in 2001 or 2002. I am no expert and trying to do this by memory.

hope this helps

Cdog
01-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info. That should give me a good place to start.

Rybar
01-14-2005, 01:49 PM
I just read in a mag that SLP is selling a stroker ZL-402 motor, it's the Cast Iron 6.0L Block (Truck Block) with all forged internals available. And you can swap everything over from the LS1 to it. It made 580 hp on the engine dyno with CNC LS6 heads, cam and LSX intake.