PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Crate or LS1

my69rocks
01-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Guys,

I'm at a Y in the road that I'm sure others of you have been. One direction is a crate big block w/ carb w/7004R and the other direction is an LS1/4L60E. This has been the hardest decision so far in my 69 Camaro project. :scared: I'd love to hear your comments or preferences....please :dunno:

justanova
01-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Both are good combos but I vote ls1, you'll love the driveability.

rob07002
01-14-2005, 08:05 AM
I think your choice really depends on how you plan to use the car. If its going to be a daily driver, then I would also lean toward the ls1 for its drivabilty, and you gotta love fuel inj. once setup right. If however, this is a hobby car with weekend/occasional use maybe some trips to the track, I would have to say nothing beats the power, torque and simplicity of a BIG BLOCK. Also you should consider the future. Are you going to upgrade to bigger cam, supercharger, future use for car, etc. This should all effect your decision. Reason being a well put together big block will stand up to much more abuse than a sb, IMO.... so adding more goodies down the road would not be a problem within reason...

My $.02

hope this helps, Good Luck

Cdog
01-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Go LS1. Your combo will drive better and use less gass. Not to mention the big block tq eventually eat the 700 r4. Plus your car will be more balanced as far as weight dist. and handle better. Good luck!

scogin918
01-14-2005, 08:29 AM
I had the same dilemma. I even bought big block front coil springs, but eventually went with the LS-1. I bought a complete motor-tranny combo with all the accessories for way less than it would have cost to build a big-block. It takes a little work to get it in the car correctly but, you just can't beat that combo. Look at all the parts they're making for the LS-1 now, with more to come. It loves add-ons.

my69rocks
01-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Guys,

Just checked in for replies and I appreciate the feedback so far. I'v recently located an LS1/4L60E out of a 2000 Camaro SS with only 5k on it for $3k for everything. Adding the goodies (Pulley System) and wiring harness from S & P, I'd be looking at $7800. A cam mod and I'm at 360 rwhp and about 344 rwtq. Should make high 12's. Hmmmm? :hammer:

Matt
01-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Don't even worry about a cam in the ls1 just yet. Port the throttle body, a good intake, good headers, and you'll be seeing that power. Figure out what your goals are with the car before you choose a cam too. Personally I'll probably do a higher lift, low duration cam since I'll be going FI.

Again, what do you plan on using the car for? Also, where did you find that deal on the ls1? That's killer.

my69rocks
01-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Matt,

I'll be using the car for cruising and weekends, a casual trip to the 1/4 to see results, and some fun once in awhile laying posi's. :3gears: I found it locally! I thought it seemed like a good price.

justanova
01-14-2005, 10:49 AM
yeah 3K is a killer price, also speartech can modify the stock harness for the ls1 for way less than a S&P harness and speartech also makes a complete harness., but the S&P harness looks like a quality piece. I actually have one for my car, bought it before I found speartech

Payton King
01-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I sent you an email in reply to the one you sent me.

Go for the LS1. A total of $7800 seems about right, but I am not sure what all you are adding.

I have read posts on ls1tech where a cam only car it making 410 to 420 at the rear wheels. I think they are getting the cam from Thunder Racing in Baton Rouge call T-Rex. I think another company makes one that makes about the same HP called "Ron Jeremy" (got to love the name of that one...it is a big stick)

my69rocks
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey Payton, I haven't seen the email yet but here's the goods from S & P:

1. WIRING HARNESS $895
2. PROGRAM COMPUTER $250
3. TOP COVERS $85
4. PLUG WIRES $108
5. STAINLESS FUEL LINES $155
6. MODIFIED FUEL RAILS $165
7. MOTOR PLATES $90
8. COOLANT SENSOR $14
9. AIR CLEANER / MACHINING MAF $250
10. BILLET THROTTLE BRACKET $50
11. LOKAR 36" THROTTLE CABLE $76
12. LS1 NAME PLATE $55
13. CHROME THROTTLE BODY $85
14. PULLEY SYSTEM $1998 INCLUDES, Alternator,core fee, fan & pulley, sanden a/c, a/c cover, idler pulley set, bracket / idler set up, power steering, power steering reservoir.

Rybar
01-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Just went through your same dilema. And located a 2002 LS1-T56 for $3800, I'm going to install a cam, and the S&P setup minus the accessory system. (I don't need AC anyways) S&P motor plates, headers and oil pan. And get Speartech to modify the harness and give me a tune for my cam. Looks like I'll be around the same price range as you after shipping, and all the performance add ons, like a Spec clutch, shifter, cam etc.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I'd go with the LS1 for a pro-touring car. It's just personal preference, but the all aluminum small block LS1 will really lighten up your front end, and improve handling. I don't know if I'd drop 2k on the speartech pulley system, though. You can get a nice set of stage 2 heads these days for that. Even without the heads, on an LS1 with all bolt-ons, a good tune and a decent sized cam, you could see 400rwhp (or more depending on how big of a cam you go with).

Also, the S&P harness at $900 is very pricey. If the LS1 you found comes with a harness, I'd have speartech modify your existing harness as was mentioned earlier. Or, I'd go with a painless harness, they're about $500 bucks.

my69rocks
01-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Thank you guys. Again this shows how valuble this site is as well as the people that it consist of. I will look into these other lower price options and possibly redirecting some of the money. I wasn't aware of the other company that could modify the harness.

justanova
01-15-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm going to install a cam, and the S&P setup minus the accessory system. (I don't need AC anyways) S&P motor plates, headers and oil pan.

if you go with the S&P modified pan/pickup make sure the pickup tube is properly seated and the pan doesn't move it when installed, one of the guys on www.ls1tech.com had the pickup move and toasted his bearings. I don't know if it was installation error or if it was a small interference with the pan when installed but after reading that I would just check to be sure.

Payton King
01-17-2005, 06:15 AM
I either sent you a long email or PM...I am suprised it did not get to you. I have GM harness for a 98 f-boby for a LS1/T56 that I will give you(or anyone else for that matter). You can get away with using the stock pulley system minus the A/C and just move the A/C up high with the street and performance braket. If you are willing to modify your fire wall/tunnel, I will make you a deal on a custom crossmember, modified frame mounts, motor mounts and the S&P block plates. When you install an LS1 with the s&p stuff the oil pan hangs about 3/4 of and inch below the front crossmember. I raised the motor to where the oil pan is even with the crossmember. I was going to run my car low so I did not want that cast pan hanging down. Again I did modify my tunnel. If you like I can email you pics of the motor in the car. I went with an aftermarket subframe so I will no longer need this stuff.

Where are you located in SC? I am in Charlotte, NC.

my69rocks
01-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm just down the road from you. :icon_razz Rock Hill,SC. Just below the NC line. Maybe we could get together sometime. It truely is a small world. My shell has been completely restored with new metal already and is in ecthing primer. The bottom is already painted as is the firewall. By the way I brought the LS1 / 4L60E home last night. I've got the computer, harness, air box, and the power steering, alternator and pulleys are on the Engine. Will the Speed & Performance A/C setup work on the stock pulley system? I'm putting Vintage A/C in the car.

Now I think I'll,

Complete fitting the front sheet metal and put in primer.
Install engine & trans.
Place computer location
Place battery location
Remove engine / trans, sub frame and suspension
Prep engine
Paint car
Install drivetrain
Install eletrical, fuel, and brake system
Install interior
2007-2008
Install chrome and trim

Of course this would go faster if I could win the lottery!!!! :bananna2:

Payton King
01-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Speak with lambert at street & performance, he is the dude that does most of the LS1 stuff...and yes it will work with the stock brackets.

You are close. I live on the South side Charlotte.

Let me know if you need any help. You need to come by in about 3 weeks and I will take you over to the shop where my car is getting a C5 sub frame and a mini-tub...should be done by then.

my69rocks
01-19-2005, 04:14 AM
Ok man....I'll send you an email to your private message board with my day time phone number so that you can give me a shout in a few weeks to check out the tubs and C5. Thanks for the contact tip for S & P.