PDA

View Full Version : 1960's Ford Unibody Front suspension.

phlegm
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
As I've said before I have a couple 60's Mustangs and I'm looking at getting a 61/62 Falcon 4dr (round body). There are numerous aftermarket companies that make UCA or LCA, from tubular to re-inforcing the stamped steel units. I can provide links on request. But today I was looking for pictures of the front suspension and ran across this Website for a 1962 Falcon (http://home.maine.rr.com/fordfalcon/suspension.htm) and it appears as though they are using fairly common circle track components. Aside from vibration due to lack of insulators (rubber) would there be any reason not to pursue something along this line of thinking?

thanks,
-ron

fast Ed
11-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Robustness of the parts looks good. Ride might be a tad rough with that combo though. :geek:

Seriously though, it doesn't mention what he plans to use for springs and shocks ... wonder what he has up his sleeve for that? Bookmarking the site anyway.

cheers
Ed N.

phlegm
11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
You know, I've been wondering if rod ends would be any more harsh then what Ford gave us from the factory. I mean take a look at the factory upper control arms, the are stamped steel, and they are connected to the body/frame via a hardened steel shaft that has metal ends screwed onto it and into the control arm, what provides any level of vibration dampening? Just the LCA that I can tell.

I'm guessing he'll use something like the TCP coil-overs, but I'd consider a strut/coil over setup like your T-bird or my '89 Cougar have as a factory looking alternative.

-ron