PDA

View Full Version : Looking for PAINT idea's - particularly dark Green

BA.
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I need to start finalizing my paint color and I was looking for idea's on a deep dark green.

Vanzuuk's car is a nice deep green,.......Fathom Green is not too bad either but I think I'd like something less "olivey".

There's a Dupont 'Hot Color' that uses their light green under their dark grey "Starry Night" that turns out pretty dark. I like it quite a bit but it's hard for me to imagine on a full car.

There's a decent green on the full-size GM trucks - I have some of that here.
Also, there's a deep green on some older Infinity that I have a sample of here.

Anyone have any others that you can suggest?
BTW - I didn't see ***** for dark greens on ANY car lot I went to today! (GM, Acura, Infinity, Caddy, BMW, Jeep, LandRover place, Kia, Hyundai) Is dark green that out of favor/ugly???

BA.
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
here's 3 of them.....just to add pics to the thread.

Been wondering about a 73/74 Trans Am dark green also, those were sweet lookin.
also attachin' my favorite Vanzuuk pic of his car.

Apogee
11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Jaguar has used some decent dark greens in the past that I've seen look good on other rigs. Sorry I don't have a color code for you.

NOT A TA
11-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm partially color blind so I'm not sure if this will help. My 70 Wildcat is green with gold metallic in the paint. It still wears the factory paint so it's probably faded to a shade lighter than it was 38 years ago. The metallic brings out the body lines.

John
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/11/wildcatatlebanonvalley-1.jpg

Tiger
11-02-2007, 12:40 AM
I like the GM "Dark Polo Green" thats what I have on my van (as for now just on the underside)

BA.
11-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys.

Hey Tiger, isn't that the same color that they used on the early 90's Corvettes? If it is, I think I really liked that color.

John, that Wildcat isn't too bad either. I like track shots!
I'm thinking the polo green is a bit darker though, I'll have to check into that.

kmcanally
11-02-2007, 01:40 PM
The Pole Green is real dark...looks black without any light shining on it.

My Mustang is Polo Green. If you saw the feature in Jan 07 PHR ignore the color because they photo-chopped it to look more green than it really is.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/02/0701phr_18_z1968_ford_mustang1-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/11/IMG_4159-1.jpg

BA.
11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I do remember your car but I had forgotten about it! The color hit me like a shot upside the head when I first saw your posted pic many months ago. I really like it! :hammer: That is very much what I am looking for as far as shade and hue go. (hugo?)

69 Hugger 396
11-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Check out 72 Corvette Brands Hatch Green. I know it's an old color but it's a beautiful dark green metallic with a bluish tint .

Damn True
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
The Pole Green is real dark...looks black without any light shining on it.

My Mustang is Polo Green. If you saw the feature in Jan 07 PHR ignore the color because they photo-chopped it to look more green than it really is.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/02/0701phr_18_z1968_ford_mustang1-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/11/IMG_4159-1.jpg

Love that thing!

Rubes
11-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Allan...here is my bro's car you might have seen at RTH3. Not sure what the name of the color is though.https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/08/DSC02032-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/08/DSC02014-1.jpg

vanzuuk1
11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey thanks BA, did not know you were a fan.

Dont stress over the color too much, go with your gut.Be warned my car is like balck, it shows every flaw and swirl.

vanzuuk1
11-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Also, its hard too judge a color from photos, the right light makes anything look good.

dcozzi
11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Didn't the Corvette have a green that was almost black in the 90's? I saw one (could have been aftermarket color but was a new car at the time) and it was green in bright light. Very cool color.

It may be:
Dark green grey metallic -Code 18 (1992)

MrQuick
11-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Mercedes Benz has a nice dark green. Forgot the code though. kinda green with a bit of gold and medium flake.

Tiger
11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys.

Hey Tiger, isn't that the same color that they used on the early 90's Corvettes? If it is, I think I really liked that color.

BA, sorry that it took me a while to answer this, but yeah thats the color.

ciao

dannyho
11-25-2007, 08:51 AM
lexus makes a color you should check out. It's called midnight pine. I haven't been able to find a picture that does it justice. It's really almost black, but when an sc430 passed me on the highway with it, made me do a total double take. beautiful color.

Steve68
11-25-2007, 08:53 AM
My 95 Passat is a nice Green can get the code if you like, my Camaro is 69 Deep Fathom Green, dark but I like it!!! not many people do, in the classic car circuit,

SPEEDZONE
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I had a 71 Pontiac T-37 that was the original dark green. Its called Laurentian Green Poly. GM code 49. PPG code 2337.

newby
11-25-2007, 02:02 PM
you mentioned the hot hues...

the hot hues system is pretty cool. its a metallic base with tinted candy clear. I've seen it on a few cars at the shows and its impressive when done correctly.

here is some random advice:

*always pick colors out based on paint shop fan decks or real cars. AND always look at them outside in the sunlight

*DONT buy hot hues system. its too damn expensive. instead do this
-look at the hot hues color chart (the one that shows the top coats over different bases)
-take the base that is close to what you want and find a base that gets what you want (lighter/darker, etc) from GM
(gm has a lot of metal flake and has a crap ton of colors in their line)
-get the base you want in duPont's Nason system and piss off everyone that pays 1k-3k for paint!
(this set up for my 79 'maro including both primers, base, hot hues AND clear is only $350!!)

*CAUTION... being that this is a candy system and that the candy is what is actually giving you your color, you must be GOOD at spraying clear... if you get a little heavy or light, it will show. so to help combat this...

*Paint all panels ON the car.

*hot hues sez put two coats of candy over the base... this will give the 'deeper color' but hides a lot of the metallic underneath. if you are cool with that two coats all the way, if not, play with some spray outs till you get what you want.

***almost forgot.. the other down side to this is if you ever get in a wreck or somebody scratches your car, you are going to have to repaint the whole car... its pretty much impossible to match the previous paint job exactly, which is what it would take to get the color right a second time.

newby
11-25-2007, 02:02 PM
you mentioned the hot hues...

the hot hues system is pretty cool. its a metalic base with tinted candy clear. I've seen it on a few cars at the shows and its impressive when done correctly.

here is some random advice:

always pick colors out based on paint shop fan decks or real cars. AND always look at them outside in the sunlight

DONT buy hot hues system. its too damn expensive. instead do this