PDA

View Full Version : Corvair Rear suspension

Mr.Squeelerz
10-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Does anybody have any ideas on improving the rear suspension on a '65 Corvair?

Beige
10-28-2007, 05:08 PM
How far are you looking to go to make changes?
Do you want to ditch the whole thing or just make what's there work better?

TonyL
10-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Get all new poly or graphite bushings from govairs (corvairunderground) get and OTTO lower control arm relocator bracket like mine. (makes the lower arms parallel to the ground, Huge improvement. or go with hiem joint lower arms and brackets.

Get yenko stinger swaybars, Upgrade to some good shocks, change out "horsecollar" bushing with a poly one.

This setup has been proven to work so well that race prepped C6 corvettes lose to a corvair at an autocross. Corvair suspension (on a late model.) works VERY well when set up properly.

Mr.Squeelerz
10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
I am working on an E-4 in the Navy budget and I also am doing some improvements to my '72 nova as well. So money isn't growing on trees right now. But saving for when I get out is taking place. How much would that setup cost Tony? but for now nothing too radical is taking place. Just keeping it running from 1500 miles away is a challenge.

TonyL
10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
all of the above can be had for less that 400 bucks. the bushings being the most expensive. (and necessary) of the bunch.

shocks. Order a set (NGKs are good) for a 69 camaro, put the fronts on the back and the backs on the front of a corvair. You'll have to press the sleeve out of the corvair's current shocks and re-use them.

The sway bar(s) can be had off of ebay for as little as 80 bucks.

The OTTO relocation bracket is 80 bucks too.

Lowend
10-28-2007, 08:34 PM
You need to track down Seth Emerson
[email protected]
He has been Auto-xing Corviars since they were new

TonyL
10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Read Everything on this page. (http://autoxer.skiblack.com/)
It'll tell you everything you want to know and more.
This guy wrote the book on pro-touring Corviars and doesn't even know it.