PDA

View Full Version : alright what the h*ll...p/s lines and intermittent start...emergency help!

formula
10-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I guess this theoretically isn't a super-emergency, but my car is stuck out in the open in a parking lot at my school until I figure out what the friggin deal is, and I'd like to have it back together before this weekend so I can drive to my best friend's 21'st birthday party on friday.

About a month ago, I put a new flaming river power steering box on my bird. Went ahead and ordered their rag joint and power steering line set to go with it, so I could just yank the old stuff out and drop the new stuff in. Their box uses o-ring fittings, unlike the old press-fit stuff that came stock on my car. Put everything together, and I had a small leak on the high-pressure side. Sigh. Took it apart, and the o-ring was split. Ok, I just presumed that it probably slipped as I was putting the hose in or something. Got a new o-ring. Redid everything. Started her up--the leak seems fixed for a minute, then comes back, then gets worse. Sigh again. Same deal--the o ring is split. Fix it a third time, this time I take it apart to make sure the o-ring is not falling off during installation, and everything seems fine, so I button it up and test it out, and everything seems to be holding. Drive the car for a couple weeks...the leak comes back. Then gets ridiculously bad. I'm talking empty-the-reservoir-in-minutes bad.

I haven't taken it apart yet because of midterms, but i'm presuming the o-ring has split again. WTF am I doing wrong?! I found out the hoses are made by "gotta show products"--anybody else had bad luck with them? Do I need to find some sort of super high pressure o-ring or something? am I not bleeding the system properly?

As for the other problem...This one's really odd to me. When I first hop in my car, it will start up and drive just fine and dandy. If I drive it for any extended period of time, i.e. 5 minutes or more, then shut the car off, it'll be stone dead (no cranking, clicking, nothing) but I'll still have lights, radio, etc. If I roll-start the car it will fire right up, and then continue firing fine for the rest of the trip, seemingly regardless of the time I drive. Amp gauge reads 14-15 amps when driving, which seems kinda high to me. Could my alternator be on its way out? Battery issues? any other ideas? chipped tooth on the flywheel that just happens to keep catching? I'm really lost on this one but it's stranded me 4 times now!

Chad-1stGen
10-27-2007, 11:53 PM
On the starter thing could it be the solenoid? GM starter solenoids are notorious for doing craptastic thing once they start to die from heat exposure.

DeltaT
10-29-2007, 11:53 AM
There are two generations of GM power steering o-rings and fittings. I'm betting you aren't using the right one. I'd call Flaming River and ask them what's up and what to do.

Jim

68nate
10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a bad connection at the starter solenoid or faulty starter. Make sure all your battery connections are tight at the battery and the starter. If you get stranded again, tap the starter with a hammer while attempting to start. Could be a heat soak issue with the starter- but usually you get a real slow crank like a dead battery- then it cools down and works normal.

Steve1968LS2
10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
You can also try jumping across the solenoid with a screwdriver (CAREFULLY!!), I had to do that when my solenoid died from heat.

The o-ring deal sounds like (as previously suggested) you have the wrong size.

formula
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
flaming river says that I'm probably just overtightening the p/s line...guess I'll try again and go from there.

Any more opinions are entirely welcome...

TonyHuntimer
11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Did they suggest using a specific type of o-ring? Is standard rubber okay or is it supposed to be nitrile? All the XRP power steering fittings we carry at Goodies Speed Shop have a nitrile o-ring already on them. Just a thought. Peak into the orofice in the steering box and make sure the o-ring seat is in good shape and free of debris.

The starter issue sounds like a solenoid since everything else works. If the starter clicked and the lights all dimmed when trying to start after driving for a few minutes I'd say your engine ground should be looked at.

Tony Huntimer
http://www.goodies-speedshop.com

a62belair
11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
1.Maybe a very light dab of vaseline on the o-ring, to seat it properly.
2. Starter solenoid.