PDA

View Full Version : Help...glove box lock removal????? 69 Camaro

69Myway
01-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Does anybody know how to remove the glove box door lock from the glove box door on a 69 Camaro?

SUPERMAYS
01-14-2005, 01:06 PM
You should be able to take the 4 or 5 screws that hold the hinge on and rotate the door down to remove the bar on the side.

Overkill
01-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I changed my lock a couple of years ago so that it would match the other locks I replaced. I can't remember exactly (I'll look at the old lock this weekend), but I think that there is a little hole that you have to push a piece of wire through so that it will release the latch that holds the front of the lock to the back. The two sections then unscrew and the new one is screwed back in.

Michael

69Myway
01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks Michael,

I am attempting to paint the dash this weekend and get ready to put the final assembly on the vintage air unit so that can be all wrapped up. Next phase of the project is to venture to the engine side of the firewall and start wrapping that up.

I have looked at the lock and feel stupid because I can't see how to pop it off. I think I have done this before but can't remember how. I am sure it is simple.

I will look forward to anything you remember. If all else fails I will simply tape it off and paint around it.

I am color matching the dash and i/p to the exterior of the car.

Overkill
01-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I couldn't find the old one that I took out, but I looked at the one that is installed. If you open the glove box and look at the base of the lock mechanism, you will see a little cutout on the right side. Take a little 90* metal pick and hold it in the cutout while unscrewing the lock from the side you put the key in. If I remember right, you need the key in the lock while you take it apart.

Michael

69Myway
01-18-2005, 01:49 AM
I couldn't find the old one that I took out, but I looked at the one that is installed. If you open the glove box and look at the base of the lock mechanism, you will see a little cutout on the right side. Take a little 90* metal pick and hold it in the cutout while unscrewing the lock from the side you put the key in. If I remember right, you need the key in the lock while you take it apart.

Michael
That's the ticket!