PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure issues

Gonzostyle
01-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I am sticking a 360/727 in a 67 dart. I rebuilt the motor (75 truck and very mild). However, when I first cranked it over it did not get any oil pressure. So I stopped and started going through things. However no matter what I am not able to get oil pressure. Here is what I have done so far.

1 check for oil (yup nice and full)
2 oil pump driveshaft engaged (yup and made a priming tool to confirmpump spining)
3 check gauge (works well with a little compressed air)
4 pulled oil filter and ran priming tool (nothing)

When I spin the priming tool in the new oil pump it seems loose, I still have the old pump and it seems much tighter.

Is it possible to get a brand new faulty oil pump? Is there a special priming process that I missed someehere?
I would really prefer not to pull the motor as it is a PAIN to take in and out.
Anyone have any ideas?

-Jeremie
oh yeah it does have the car oil pan and pick up.

zbugger
01-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Have you thought of opening up the pump and packing it with something like Vaseline? That will make it so that it doesn't cavitate on you. Also, check the pickup and see if it's not too close to the pan.

MrQuick
01-13-2005, 12:04 AM
I can't believe Z would use up all that "date-in-a-can" but it works.I like to use KY,it washes off nice and you don't end up looking like a glazed donut...any hoo If your pump feels loose it may have a broken pump shaft.I've seen that more than once. Keep on with the manual priming and try filling the filter with oil. It may take a while.Oh you are going the right way right?

Gonzostyle
01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, it would seem that I got a bunk oil pump (broken shaft directly from summit?). Or even if if the pump is good and just does not pull enough suction, I still would have to pull the motor to use Allen's "date-in-a-can". I was really trying to avoid that, but it looks as if I was doing the right thing when priming it (rotating clockwise). Also I checked the pan to pick up clearance before putting the pan on, and it was not touching.

I was just wondering if I had missed a step somewhere in priming the oil pump.

Anyone want a 67 dart?

-Jeremie