PDA

View Full Version : Motor Decision Suggestions

Mr. B
10-25-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm planning on putting a new motor in my Camaro in the near future. I've been looking at the World Products motors. What I'm struggling with is whether to put in a big block or a small block. I'm looking for a little over 500 hp, and all the torque I can get. Most small blocks peak out around 500 ft-lbs, while a strong big block will be over 500 ft-lb throughout most of the rpm range. I'll mainly be driving it on the street with a few track days here and there. I'm putting in an Art Morrison subframe, and will run aluminum heads, so the weight of the big block doesn't concern me. Any opinions would be greaty appreciated.

wendell
10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
research the builders local to you. Once you find one you're comfortable with, talk about the goals you have for your car. You'll be miles ahead compared to buying a crate problem- I mean motor. Crate motor.

eville
10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm probably going to build a Dart Little M block punched and stroked to 427cid. With a nice set of Brodix Track 1s and a solid roller cam. 600 hp is not impossible. Torque will be near there.

Project69
10-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I dont think he wants to adjust valve lash every so often. Id use a hydraulic roller cam if possible in whatever engine you choose.

Mr. B
10-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Yep, I want a hydraulic roller motor. How about big block versus small block?

jknight16
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I've always been intrigued by the big-inch small blocks, like eville (Steve) is talking about. Nothing cooler than having a snorting 427 that looks like it could be a 327.

With all the power people are making with LS motors and well built small-blocks, I rarely (not never, just rarely) see a reason for most people to do a big block.

Mr. B
10-25-2007, 03:24 PM
I kind of think the big inch small blocks are cool too. Does anyone know how streetable the Bill Mitchell 427s are? They are rated at 520 hp and 495 ft-lb torque.

68sixspeed
10-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I'll chime in; mine is a lot more heavily cammed than most of the crate motors, but needs to be to top that 600hp mark on a normally aspirated sb. It's lots of fun, but if you don't mind the weight of the big block, you can build the same or more hp/torque for less $ in my opinion. (esp. with a hyd. roller, go 500+cid big block, make some torque)

As far as streetable, no problem; I've driven it 250+ miles each way to Carlisle PA this year and Maple Grove PA and Epping NH last year. No problems loading up or running hot. It is a fun combo though being light-- I took the new cyl. head guy at the engine builder's out for a ride and he didn't stop smiling for a week. (and he's a ford guy!) -Dan

eville
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM
A guy on TC has a 427sb in his 69 Camaro that dyno'd 618hp. He drove from Canada to Central California this summer. Round trip. Got 21 mpg with his Tremec and MPFI Holley.

Mr. B
10-26-2007, 04:16 AM
There is a Bill Mitchell 427 for sale over on TC. The price is reasonable, and he is very close to me. I was thinking of giving that a shot as opposed to a big block.

wendell
10-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Not for nothing but 520hp is pretty lame for a 426 no matter what block it's based on. That and I wouldn't trust a Mitchel crate motor to more my boat much less propell my car. Good luck with it.

NOPANTS-68
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
here's my two pennies....lol

Having driven my big block about 1000 miles now, I'll never build another small block. I built an exact replica of the PHR Ironman 468 and absolutely love it. It's got a small solid roller in it (which doesn't require near the maintenance that most people think if you use good parts) and makes stupid torque everywhere. Torque motivates the vehicle and with a big inch Chev it comes on everywhere. My car's not a road racer especially with that big chunk or iron up front, but I don't have to twist the think 7500+ to make power. The mileage is ass, but if I was after that I would've just bought a Camry.

Mr. B
10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I've made a decision. I talked to a friend of mine that I've built a motor with before, he has a 454 under his bench that he is going to sell me cheap. I plan on putting on one of Edelbrock's power packages with aluminum performer rpm heads, a hydraulic roller cam, and performer RPM intake. If money allows, I'll step up to fuel injection. They say this combo makes 540 hp and 540 ft-lbs torque with 9.5:1 compression. That's right in the power range I'm looking for, and the weight. With the Art Morrison subframe I'm going to run, it will weigh in about the same as a stock subframe and an all iron small block.

Vegas69
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I've always been intrigued by the big-inch small blocks, like eville (Steve) is talking about. Nothing cooler than having a snorting 427 that looks like it could be a 327.

With all the power people are making with LS motors and well built small-blocks, I rarely (not never, just rarely) see a reason for most people to do a big block.

Except they look badass! Still nothing like a big block under the hood for me. I've had the LS1 under the hood of my vette and a small block under my 68. Maybe I'm just old school that way.