PDA

View Full Version : ATS AFX spindle and tall ball joints

Dr.Corvette
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Would there be any pros or cons using the stock height afx spindles and Howe tall upper ball joints vs. the tall AFX spindles and stock ball joints. I want the tall spindle but I can get a good deal on a set of short ones. These will be installed on a 67 Firebird with stock subframe and Global West upper and lower control arms. Any thoughts?

MrQuick
10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I can't for the life of me remember who is running this set up...I believe he had rim to UCA interference.

Rick Dorion
10-24-2007, 03:50 AM
The 'normal' tall BJ is about 1/2" taller so I don't know why you'd have a problem. The tall spindle is 3/4" or 1" I don't remember.

Marcus SC&C
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
There are several people running short AFX spindles and tall ball joints. In general,geometry wise the short AFX spindles are similar to stock spindles except they also correct the factory bumpsteer. The most common reason people run the short AFX spindles is that they did an unreversible G Mod already. Combining the G Mod with AFX tall spindles is a no no but the G Mod alone is only a partial solution to the cars geometry issues. Running our std. tall ball joints with the short spindles and the G Mod results in geometry very similar to the tall AFX spindles,quite good but just a bit milder. If you haven`t done the G Mod you can run short AFX spindles with our Severe Duty X-Tall ball joints. This geometry is quite a bit better than the G Mod alone but slightly milder than the combo above. To put this in perspective this combo still yields better camber gain than many of the aftermarket subframes on the market. To rank them in order of performance geometry it would go something like this. Mark SC&C
1) AFX tall
2) AFX short,std. tall ball joints, G Mod
3) AFX short,SD X-Tall ball joints
4) AFX short,G Mod

Dr.Corvette
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Thanks Mark for rating the set ups. With this in mind I think I will go with tall spindles. Does SC&C sell the AFX spindles?