PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen a rear axle slide up a leaf spring?

Chad-1stGen
10-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I took my Camaro out to run a few errands around town today and while getting on it just a bit (shifting at 3500 rpm) the car pulled to the side on a 1-2 upshift. Didn't know what to make of it at first and so I gingerly played with the gas and ended up driving home sideways. Got intot he garage and the left tire is 1-1.5 inches forward.

I don't have a jack & jack stands where I live so I haven't been able to really get in and inspect it but after crawling under the car with a flashlight and tape measure it appears the axle has moved forward on the drivers side leafspring.

This car has been full of suprises from the PY owner. Many of the parts he installed were not torqued properly and I could of sworn I checked the U-bolts. I figure either the U-bolts were not torqued properly and I missed it or there is something amiss with the spring perch.

After I buy a floor jack and stands or scrounge up a set I guess I'll know for sure.

class67
10-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. The rear end moved about 1/2" on the passenger side once. I re-torqued the u-bolts and it has not happened again (I don't think), come to think of it, I should probably re-check them again.

MonzaRacer
10-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Also check that the bolt through the spring pack(it centers the axle) isnt sheared or someone used a chaep old hardware store bolt.
It takes a special bolt to center the diff.

Chad-1stGen
10-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Also check that the bolt through the spring pack(it centers the axle) isnt sheared or someone used a chaep old hardware store bolt.
It takes a special bolt to center the diff.

They are/were brand new Hotchkis springs. I would assume that the centering bolt came installed already or no?

HILROD
10-22-2007, 07:10 AM
What kind of pads are between the springs and mounts? Aare they rubber, poly? I never re-use the stock rubber isolator pads. You can get new poly ones or some guys use steel or aluminum stock. Also check the lower spring plates, The stock ones bow easy. Most repro places sell the heavier replacements. Last all this depends on if you have a mono leaf or multileaf rear. If you car came stock with mono leafs there is an adapter kit you can get to mount the mutileafs.

Chad-1stGen
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Multi leaf rear. Poly pads that came with the springs. The pad is clearly spit partway out the back. I'm anxious to dig into it and see if the spring is damaged or what.

Chad-1stGen
10-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Well took it apart today. The pads were toast and the center bolt was roally toast. Really distorted. Can't see it in the pic but the bottom of the bolt appears to have been sheared as well.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leafspring4zx2.jpg)

So two questions:

1) Any place I can get a leaf spring bolt? I plan on calling Hotchkis Monday...

2) The diameter of the hotchkis center bolt head and nut are both larger than the metal sleeve in the ES leaf spring pads. Is that normal and I need to remove the sleeves? If I do that there will be a lot of play between the bolt and pads...

Thanks

Chad-1stGen
10-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Been reading posts on Camaros.net for about an hour. Appears a few people have had this issue. Though it seems to be mostly related to mono to multi conversions.

One thing I noticed is that the height of the bolt head and nut is 3/8" and the thickness of the poly pads are 7/16." So once the bottom of the bolt sheared off there really wasn't anything in either the upper or lower centering hole.

I've read about a lot of people running spacer plates instead of pads but seems unnecessary since I have a hole in the upper perch.

Guess I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow to see if they have any grade 8 Allen head bolts or similar.

HILROD
10-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Just about all the black color allen bolts are grade 8. The problem with converting multi to mono is the big gap left between the lower plate and the brackets on the housing. It causes the lower plate to bow, then the spring pin makes no contact. If your lower plates are bowed, even a little, they'll need to be repaired or replaced. Also you can leave the spring pads out. If a 3/8 standard bolt head fits into the hole in the spring pearch, tightly, you could leave at least the top one out. Or Detroit speed, for one, sells the mono to multi conversion kit. There are spacers to keep the spring plates flat.

Chad-1stGen
10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
As mentioned before my car is a multi spring, not a conversion. The shock plate mates up nice and flush to the perch.

79T/Aman
10-28-2007, 11:19 AM
well I tend to refrain from talking about my disslike of poly ( it seems to bring out the flashy add Cool aid drinkers) but here is another example of part of the problem, poly is not able to grab well and fit into the small voids to lock everything in and they allow for movement in turn putting stress on other parts, second the Hotchkis springs are narrower than stock agravatting the problem, so ether use rubber or no pads at all as on a race car

jeffandre
11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Chad,
Where are you getting your replacement bolt? I do not have any bolt in the Vette Brakes leaf spring and am thinking it might be a good idea to add one...

Chad-1stGen
11-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I used a grade 8 Allen headed bolt. It was about the same exact size as the original hotchkis bolt head. However, I also bought some "high collar" washers I think they are called to give some additional height to ensure the bolt head was taller than the poly pad. These washers are thick lock washer types but was the same outer diameter as the bolt head.

I have a little over 200 miles on the car since the fix without problems.

EDIT if you are worried eaton sells leaf spring bolts.

jeffandre
11-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks Chad, I'll look them up. I may go with your idea as I could get them to fit like a glove.

David Pozzi
11-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I prefer metal to metal contact with no pads.
David

BonzoHansen
11-04-2007, 07:23 AM
David
What are the negatives to no pads for a street car?

jeffandre
11-04-2007, 07:48 AM
David

Me too, but I am afraid to do that with my Vette Brakes fiberglass springs, so I am using poly for now. Any other ideas?

MrQuick
11-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Me too, but I am afraid to do that with my Vette Brakes fiberglass springs, so I am using poly for now. Any other ideas?

I made a set of Delrin spacers (3/16") for a project with VB leafs. Hi Jeff.

jeffandre
11-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I made a set of Delrin spacers (3/16") for a project with VB leafs. Hi Jeff.

Hi Vince,
May need a set of those from you. How were the VB leafs set up to stay in their place?