PDA

View Full Version : Mark Stielow pulled it off, but how????

Richz68
01-12-2005, 09:07 AM
"Back in tha day", when Mark originally built the quadra-Deuce for then employer Summit Racing; he utilized a early T-56 mated to a AWD transfer case sourced from a Syclone/Typhoon.

Does anybody know how this was accomplished? Forget about calling Summit...... they have no clue and I talked to one of their top guys in the corporate office. :dunno:

My summer daily driver will basically be a non-turbo Syclone, and i happen to have a T-56 that I would love to plant in my little AWD pick up.

If anyone has any insight, photos, secret "Bat-Fone" numbers to call sir Mark I would owe you big time.

To my knowledge this is the one and only time that this drivetrain combination has been pulled off and for some reason when Troy was commisioned to "rebuild" the Deuce it was chucked???? :hammer:

DarkBuddha
01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Have you tried contacting Steilow directly? Hopefully someone of the board has some contact point for him... or consider sending and email/letter to PHR? Just a thought... :dunno:

Richz68
01-12-2005, 11:41 AM
DarkBuddha,

"If anyone has any insight, photos, secret "Bat-Fone" numbers to call sir Mark I would owe you big time"

Todds69
01-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I think you should look at Rad Rides by Troy. His website is radrides.com it show the Quadraduece on his website...maybe he can give you some information.

Restomod
01-12-2005, 02:10 PM
I would suspect that a big chunk of billet was cut to make up the bolt paterns between the two and some output shaft mods were done also......

DarkBuddha
01-12-2005, 02:59 PM
"If anyone has any insight, photos, secret "Bat-Fone" numbers to call sir Mark I would owe you big time"
Yep... flew right by me... sorry 'bout that.

Richz68
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Todd,

I thought about it, but you can't call them and ask to talk to Troy unless you are a potential customer....besides "for some reason when Troy was commisioned to "rebuild" the Deuce it was chucked"

Resto,

I assumed that there was an adapter made, but I want more specifics and and whether or not it was a dependable set-up capable of handling a certain amount of power.

I assume that there was something wrong with the final drive system, but I am hoping that it was front differential related instead of the compatibilty of the T56 & BW transfer case.

Charley Lillard
01-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I'll try to get Mark to reply tomorrow. He is out west playing with a Caddy...

David Pozzi
01-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Found this:

http://www.streetandstrip.com/feature_vehicles.asp?ID=%7BE505CCF1-A614-412D-B747-D4AA9F66A74A%7D
http://www.enjoythedrive.org/content/?id=8567%22

Richz68
01-13-2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks Charlie!!!! :icon996:

David,

The Quadra-Duece has basically lived two lives so to speak. Mark built it from scratch in the mid-90's.

Then after a few years out of the lime-light it was shipped off to Rad Rides for a pre-discovery channel Troy Makeover. Well, to my dismay one of the changes was indeed the transmission. The T56 was replaced by a Rossler TH-700R4.

I'm hoping to hear from Mark himself since it seems to be as secret as G.W's military journals. :guilty:

Stielow
01-13-2005, 07:15 AM
When I first built the Quadra Deuce it used a Borg Warner transfer case out of a Typhoon and a 6 speed out of a F-body.

The out put shaft on the trans mates to the input of the T-56 no problem there. The adapter / extension housing on the tail of the trans was off an aftermarket Mustang conversion tail housing extension with a 1 1/2" chunk of 6061-T6 aluminum welded to it. I had to use the Mustang tail housing to move the shifter forward to clear the adaptor. Once the billet aluminum was welded to the tail housing extension we machined it to match up the to transfer case. But we clocked to 10 degrees up to get more ground clearance.

A note of caution. The Borg Warner engineers that I talked with claimed that the parts could only handle 500 hp in a vehicle that weighed no more the 2800 lbs. So the QD made 500 hp and weighed 2600 lbs. We never fail any parts in the drive train. It went 0-60 in 3.2 seconds as tested by Car and Driver on BFG radials.

I have the blue prints and drawings if some one really wanted to do it again. But there are better parts available now that will handle more power so unless you are building a light car I would go another way.

Stielow :icon996:

Richz68
01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
The reason I am so interested in the possibility to use a T56 with a AWD Borg Warner transfer case is because I am in the middle of sourcing the AWD chassis and components for my summer daily driver.

The truck is a '92 Sonoma GT which was the GM's "poor-mans" Syclone(2WD non-turbo 195hp 4.3L Vortec).

http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/car_driver_12-92.html

In essence; I want to create a non-turbo Syclone with a T56 that I happen to have. I plan to bump the HP/Torque up but only to the 250-275hp range. My truck noe weighs 3300, but it will be a little heavier once the chassis and AWD components are installed.

I would really like a copy of the blueprints if possible. I will send you a private message with my email address.

Thanks again! :icon996:

Tiger
01-13-2005, 08:05 AM
What about contacting Troy an ask if he still has the old parts available? for sale maybe??

Just an idea

André

TitoJones
01-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Nice write up Mark, glad to see some insight on how it was done!

Tyler

442olds
01-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I would imagine you'd just need a new spacer for the tail housing and a 37 spline input on the transfer case. I doubt there is any off the shelf adapters for the transmission to transfer case but there may be. You'll also want to be able to clock the position of the transfer case. Try checking out some 4x4 sites and asking your question there. Someone has had to put an lt1 drivetrain into thier 4x4 creation and needed to adapt a t56 to their transfer case.

BlazerSpeed
01-13-2005, 10:07 AM
wow, I feel like an ass, how did I miss this one? Ok first things first. If you plan on turboing your ride, I suggest staying away from a T56, or any manual for that matter. Maybe Myclone can back me up on this one, but there is a reason why many of the Sy/Ty guys stay away from manual trannys. Something about loading at boost just destroys the thing. To be honest, I was going to do that swap on mine until an over whelming amount of people told me otherwise. ok second, there is a site called v8s10.org they have some of the best tech for swapping in and out a V8 into our S-series. also, if your strong enough to tackle the job, why not simply chuck the V6 and go V8 style? suprisingly enough these trucks can handle a 396 with no real non-common sense problems. I'm on that board as well, under the same screen name, I suggest first lurking around and simply absorbing all the tech. there is a moderator on there named Grappler that can answer almost any question you might have available.
adios and good luck.
Derek

andrewb70
01-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Mark,

I am sure most of us here would love to hear what are some of the better solutions that are available today. Please point us in the right direction.

Andrew

myclone
01-13-2005, 11:06 AM
The only thing I can add here is that there are several (including mine) full weight or close to it syclones/typhoons that are putting WAY more than 500hp through the BW xfer case with no failures so far. I had my 73kmi case apart the other day to check the chain for slop and found none so I put it right back togeather. My xfer case has happily absorbed 15psi launches time after time with no complaints not to mention other ppl have abused theirs way more than me.

My point is that BW was prolly being conservative in the numbers they are willing to throw out there and Ive only heard of two or three xfer case failures since being around sytys. BTW, those failures were only the chain stretching and once a new chain was installed the xfer case was good as new and happily being abused by the owners.

BlazerSpeed,

In all honesty its not really a situation of the 6spd taking the abuse its the cost/hassle involved in getting the trans to mate with the xfer case (most sytyers are NOT fabbing type ppl...theyre bolt on types). Also, with a manual trans you can not build any boost for launching unless you use a two step or a hit of N2O right before you dump the clutch. Youve got to get some load on the motor to get some heat into the exh side of the turbo cause you can rev an engine to the moon all day and not make more than 1 or 2lbs of boost at most so an auto trans is WAY easier to provide the needed load/heat to build boost for the launch. I can rev my syclone all day long at 5500rpm and get absolutely 0 boost but if I bounce it off the rev limiter I can get 2-3lbs which does me no good since Im in neutral (doing a neutral drop is retarded and doing one in an AWD vehicle WILL grenade the trans in spectacular fashion). Granted there are other ways around that with timing/fueling maps but thats out of the scope of this thread so to sum it up take two identical turbo cars throw an auto in one and a manual in the other then take them to the drag strip. The auto equipped vehicle will win just about if not every time.

Keep in mind also that sytys are geared more toward drag racing and I only know of two that actively flog their trucks on a road course so there wont be huge amount of info on anything to do with corner burning on the syty forum.

myclone
01-13-2005, 11:49 AM
The reason I am so interested in the possibility to use a T56 with a AWD Borg Warner transfer case is because I am in the middle of sourcing the AWD chassis and components for my summer daily driver.

The truck is a '92 Sonoma GT which was the GM's "poor-mans" Syclone(2WD non-turbo 195hp 4.3L Vortec).

http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/car_driver_12-92.html

In essence; I want to create a non-turbo Syclone with a T56 that I happen to have. I plan to bump the HP/Torque up but only to the 250-275hp range. My truck noe weighs 3300, but it will be a little heavier once the chassis and AWD components are installed.

I would really like a copy of the blueprints if possible. I will send you a private message with my email address.

Thanks again! :icon996:

I forgot to add that if you are converting a SGT to AWD you would be SO much ahead of the game by swapping frames with a 4wd truck. Its not that hard really as once you get the hand full of fasteners out of the bed, cab, and core support you can practically roll the 2wd frame out and the 4wd frame back in its place. There is no difference between a 2wd and 4wd other than the front suspension/drive line mounting points for the 4wd.

FWIW, Dont tell the syty crowd your modding a Sonoma GT since they are actually rarer than the syclone and typhoon and a lynching may insue. Only around 800 were produced and the SGT has some one off/not available cladding pieces that ppl that are restoring a SGT would kill to have. Personally, I dont care since IMO you paid for the vehicle so do with it what you want.

BlazerSpeed
01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
one of the things to keep in mind though, when your swapping to a 4x4 chassis, and plan on using the BW 4472 xcase, that you will need a new front driveshaft. The standard BW xcase for the 4x4 S-series was different from the 4472 used in the SyTy or Bravada for that matter. The shaft that will most likely come with your new frame and hardware will not mount to the new case, as the yokes are different, and the stock shaft is quite weak. after thnking about it, haha this wont even be an issue as you're using a different trans with a different length than the stock 700-R4, so youd need a new one anyway :hammer:
in anycase, time to whore the thread :offtopic: i wonder what marks next project is going to be?
Derek

Kenova
01-13-2005, 05:36 PM
In regards to the AWD transfer case, GM is now offering AWD in their full size van. It's been a few years since they built the SyTys, and the vans are obscenely heavy. Is it possible that the newer Tcases are stronger? Just a thought.
Ken

Richz68
01-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Myclone & Blazerspeed,

Way ahead of you guys.... I have a Syclone chassis & suspension in line as well as all the Bravada AWD parts for it. I happen to have a two-post lift so this will ease the conversion quite a bit.

Getting back to the adapter; I think I understand what Mark is saying. The Mustang T56 must be quite a bit shorter as fas as the output shaft length and once the 1-1/2" spacer is welded to rear of the tailhousing it allows the shaft to slide far enough into the transfer case for proper transfer of power.

I have a few guys that are CNC machinists and a set of prints will make this a reaility....

Geeto67
01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
A buddy of mine into subarus tells me that there is a conversion kit to convert an awd subaru wrx to use a chevy trans and rwd. I was thinking why not go the opposite way and use a wrx STI awd and gearbox. The tranny is just ok (you abuse it and it is junk) but the awd transfer case is fully adjustable like a rally car.

kracker
01-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I think this would be a great idea for a Camaro, I know it has been talked about before but seems it has been more of a pipe dream before on the other post. What years did the Mustang come with the T-56? I know the C-5 spindles are the same front and rear
and with vary little mod you can mount the S-10 front wheel bearings to the C-5 uprights. So C-5 front and rear, Viper Dana 44 center in the rear, S-10 front diff and stubs...... and the magic T-56 and transfercase. Mark I like the fact that you will give up drawings but how do we get them from you? maybe you could E-mail them to?

Restomod
01-15-2005, 07:33 AM
The only Mustangs to have a 6 speed are the 03 and up Supercharged Cobras.

MuscleRodz
01-15-2005, 08:25 AM
6 speeds in Mustangs go clear back to the last year they offered the 5.0 in them. I know, I almost bought one.

Mike

andrewb70
01-15-2005, 08:32 AM
6 speeds in Mustangs go clear back to the last year they offered the 5.0 in them. I know, I almost bought one.

Mike

Sorry Mike, Restorod is correct on this one. The only Mustang to have a factory 6 speed was the 03 and 04 Cobra.

Andrew

Richz68
01-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Once I have the transfer case to use for mock-up purpose I WILL BE LOOKING INTO THIS POSSIBILTY for my '68! :cool:

It would necessitate custom front sub-frame with one-off spindles, off-set upper & lower A-Arms, front differential mounts, R&P steering, coil-overs, front prop shaft & a custom T56/Transfer case cross member.

But for now I will remain focussed on the compatibility of the T56/Transfer Case in my truck.

Still waiting for a reply about the blueprints for the spacer Mark...:help:

Wish me luck:fingersx:

Charley Lillard
01-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Mark is in LA. Why don't you contact Troy and buy the one he removed ?

Richz68
01-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Charley,

I really would much rather get the plans for the spacer especially since I have access to a CNC operator.

I actually met Troy back in '89 or '90 at the Canfield OH Hot Rod Super Nationals when he & I were two young, skinny mullet-headed kids:ssst: and he was a relative new-comer. We talked for quite awhile and he was really a funny & cool kid who I knew was going to at very least make a living out of his talents that he inherited from his dad.

I originally consider calling Troy's shop and I still plan to do so, but I probably cannot fathom how many folks call their shop after he made it on all the new shows as of late and mumble these words:

"Is Troy there"
"Yeah..... I need to speak with *trep-a-neer*"
"I want to talk to Troy"

I'm sure it will be a "No I'm sorry he's not, can I take a message". But you never know until you try so here goes.......:fingersx:

J-R0d
01-18-2005, 01:32 PM
When I first built the Quadra Deuce it used a Borg Warner transfer case out of a Typhoon and a 6 speed out of a F-body.

The out put shaft on the trans mates to the input of the T-56 no problem there. The adapter / extension housing on the tail of the trans was off an aftermarket Mustang conversion tail housing extension with a 1 1/2" chunk of 6061-T6 aluminum welded to it. I had to use the Mustang tail housing to move the shifter forward to clear the adaptor. Once the billet aluminum was welded to the tail housing extension we machined it to match up the to transfer case. But we clocked to 10 degrees up to get more ground clearance.

A note of caution. The Borg Warner engineers that I talked with claimed that the parts could only handle 500 hp in a vehicle that weighed no more the 2800 lbs. So the QD made 500 hp and weighed 2600 lbs. We never fail any parts in the drive train. It went 0-60 in 3.2 seconds as tested by Car and Driver on BFG radials.

I have the blue prints and drawings if some one really wanted to do it again. But there are better parts available now that will handle more power so unless you are building a light car I would go another way.

Just curious, you mention better parts out there. What would you recommend?

TIA.

J-R0d
01-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Ttt

EFI69Cam
01-20-2005, 03:07 PM
The Corvette T56 looks alot like a 4x4 trans to me. Maybe a LS1 front plate and input shaft, mid shift conversion and a custom adaptor?

dongnghiDTO
01-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Just curious, you mention better parts out there. What would you recommend?

TIA.

quaife supplies an awd 6 spd in h gate or sequential
form.. its in the skylineGTRs..... the image and diagrams i have
of each show an integrated gear driven casing/extension
offset to the left hand side of the trans..

i emailed them about the total wet weight of the
unit a while ago.. with no response..

im not sure, but i think you can get the case in magnesium..
if thats so, you could also get it in titanium..

its twentyfive large in aluminum.. *dramatic pause* :P

this is entering pipe dream territory so i will relent..

although, i have measured up the trans bolted to
a big block in the dimensions of a sixtyeight if you
wanna see it.. its my CAD file, ive been workin on
here and there..

i think a full gear driven solution with quaife ATB diffs
at each end would be the ideal setup.. but weight
issues are abundant.. everything needs to be tubular
and or composite.. sigh..

anyway.. the only other option i found was to design
your own.. [find a good trans and try to get a gear
on the side of it]

??? Mark Stielow:

i am very interested in the geometry of the front
suspension of the quadradeuce. i am having trouble
determining the correct a-arm lengths and distances
pertinent to an awd setup. i have some books giving
basic guide lines but no proven data. it would be
great to see some round about figures.. and i noticed
that the pushrod to the shock/spring rockers was
at a good angle.. is it 45? ..
is there a rocker ratio or is it symmetric?
would it be feasible to use a setup like on the rear
of the koenigsegg CCR? where the upper a-arm is
the integrated with a pushrod device on the
shock/spring assy.. effectively what i call an AB-arm..

please excuse me if this is too.. 'out there'..

thanks,

D

Richz68
01-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Guys,

I talked to Mark Stielow personally about the stuff that is avaialable now. He mentioned that there is a AWD Pro-Touring car being built as we speak.... it will be using a Cadillac Escalade AWD transfer case. This unit although larger in size is much stronger considering power handling capabilities.

I will be getting some detailed photos of the Quadradeuce during the original build up and will have them posted here for a visual reference of the engineering that was and is involved in an AWD conversion.

MArk also explained to me how the spacer was configured. The Mustang T56 tailhousing is NOT shorter as I thought yet it is needed to relocate the shifter in a forward position as compared to the GM F-Body T56. The Ford T56 tailhousing uses different shifter linhage which will need to be used and 1-1/2" was machined from the rear of the tailhousing and the CNC machined adapter had to be jigged up to it using a dowel pin and then tig welded permanently to the tailhousing.

More details to come..... :icon996:

4OfaKind
03-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Guys,

I talked to Mark Stielow personally about the stuff that is avaialable now. He mentioned that there is a AWD Pro-Touring car being built as we speak.... it will be using a Cadillac Escalade AWD transfer case. This unit although larger in size is much stronger considering power handling capabilities.

I will be getting some detailed photos of the Quadradeuce during the original build up and will have them posted here for a visual reference of the engineering that was and is involved in an AWD conversion.

Rich,
Did Mark mention what car was being built and by whom or when it will be debuted to the public? Also, have you made any progress on posting some pics?

Thanks,
Mal

myclone
04-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Dunno where anyone is at on their AWD conversion but this thread was started today on the syty forum about a 6spd syclone. You guys that are working on the awd/6spd set up may want to contact the thread author for some details as I dont know anything about what was done personally, just passing on what I found.

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26532

phaseshift
04-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Reading this thread is exciting and disappointing at the same time. I am already in the early planning stages of doing another PT car.... good motor, all wheel drive, all custom parts etc. About like my existing RC Camaro, full tube chassis, light weight but with the addition of AWD.
I am so far behind the times on this you would think I live in China or something.

Phase

John Monnin
10-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Bumping this thread to the top.

I am trying to figure out my next project car and I can't decide on anything simple.

I have a Stealth TT and I love the AWD and turbopower but I really miss my 71 Lemans Sport. So I was thinking about combining them. My first thought was the 3000GT Stealth drive train because I am very familiar with it and I even made detailed computer models of the engine and transfercase. The problem is that even though the the Stealth engine and AWD components are stronger than most people believe its just too damn expensive. It also just seems wrong to me to put Mitsubishi parts in an American Muscle car.

The Syclone parts seems to be a reasonably priced alternative. I have been getting mixed reviews but it seems like they are reliable at reasonably higher than stock horsepower levels.

I am really curious what other AWD drivetrains are good candidates.

I don't think the Subaru AWD system is a good choice, they seem too fragile to me. During the 2004 Car and Driver Onelap of America contest one of ths Subaru teams blew thier tranny and I let them use my garage to swap it out. The fact that they had a spare transmission ready in case of this was my first sign that the transmission might not be the most hardy. It also has the transfercase ans differential integrated into the transmission. Try to mount a chevy Engine too it would move the engine too far forward and mess up the weight distribution if it even fit in a GM A-body.

I keep thinking about a really slick 69 GTO Judge that I saw at a PCA road course I attended in 2003 at Gateway in St Louis. The 17" GTO style rally wheels got my attention first and then the coilover conversion got my attention next. I had seen pro-touring cars in magazines before but seeing that Orange Judge tearing up a roadcourse has vividly stuck in my memory. So much so that I found this forum searching for information on the feasability of an AWD conversion:)

jeff s
10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm thinking the silverado ss or escalade awd transfer case. I thought Lingenfelter transplanted one into the s10 that had the twin turbo 427 C5r engine.
I finished installing a turbo on a Silverado SS yesterday, really hauls a**, trans may not last behind something this heavy, but in something lighter?

Kenova
10-05-2005, 06:42 AM
GM is also using an AWD transfer case behind the 4L80E in the full size vans, although I've been told that the only difference between it and the Silverado SS Tcase is the size of the input shaft.
You should also check out ATS's new spindle. It uses Corvette bearing hubs, so it may be possible to use the rear hubs on the spindle for AWD.
I believe the bggest hurdle to overcome would be the packaging of the front diff.
Ken

wolfcat
11-08-2005, 04:11 AM
I've followed this thread and have some ideas to share.
Today I would use a Tremec TKO-600 and the GM149 out of an escalade or GMC denali
and make something like Stielow's mod. on the tailhousing.
Maybe someone outthere have readymade tailhousing for tranfercase adaption??
One have to get a 32-spline input gear from magna drivetrain former NVG
part #32476
mailto [email protected]

KUL FIR CHICK N
11-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey Ken, mine's still coming along fine.

R. Zwicker

blazer4corners
11-08-2005, 07:00 PM
I would think the needed space underneath the car would be a problem.You could only clock the transfer so far before you got into front driveshaft trouble.Been contenplating an AWD setup on a g-body using somewhat factory pieces...since the s-10s are so interchangeable on most front susp.pieces.I would like to make this conversion with mostly factory pieces because of ease of replacement parts.It would suck to break totally one off parts away from home

ProStreet R/T
11-08-2005, 07:47 PM
I've been putting a lot of thought into this and honestly if you want the car LOW it will not be an easy setup. You WILL have to raise the floor boards, not only for drive shaft clearance, but for the t-case as well, they are BIG and will be right under the driver seat.

I have found a way around this but requires some extensive mods to the t-case. But if done right you could run a d-shaft under the car with no problem what so ever, and put the thing in the weeds.

quit looking at cars for the answers :)

Or just get crazy and build a lambo-esque 1st gen, put the motor in the rear and you have tons of room for the front drive line.

Matt
11-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I was talking to the guy that was using the escalade bits last year. I kept telling him AWD was a horrible idea, etc etc... then he showed me his plans, and I shut up.

I still don't think AWD is practical (after owning, and breaking 3 trannies in my subaru), but if you're as mechanically inclined and connected as this guy, I thiink it could work.

4OfaKind
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Here are pics of my AWD project. It is a 56 Chevy. I am using a escalade transfer case and will use a 4l80e transmission. Front is a S10 4x4 diff.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/finnie1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/finnie2-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/finnie3-1.jpg

Mal

4OfaKind
12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
More

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/finnie4-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/finnie6-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/12/finnie7-1.jpg

Mal

F70t/a
12-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Damn thats gonna be sweet :cheers:

John Monnin
09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Anyone finish a AWD project yet?

A good donor candidate is new trailblazer SS.
The Trailblazer SS has a 400hp LS2 V8, AWD (not 4WD) auto tranny, tons of aftermarket options, full programmability for the ECM and TCM, and the front diff shares space with the oil pan.

Jonesy_SA
07-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Anyone found an affordable 5/6pd and transfer case to handle 600hp in light vehicle. TLast post was oct 2005, someone must be finished :-)
thanks

Steve1968LS2
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow, this thread keeps coming back from the grave. lol

The new TR6060 should be able to easily handle 600hp.. oh wait, you said transfer case ;)

absmith
07-04-2008, 09:22 PM
There are some t-56 awd units out there. Most are homemade, but I did hear a rumor that Callaway Cars has developed a 4wd/awd tail housing for the t-56. :dunno:

A few links:
http://home.comcast.net/~xr4x4ti/V8_AWD_Pictures.htm

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58088&highlight=t56

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38192&highlight=t56

I've exchanged e-mail with the gentleman who authored the below posts. He has shared pics of his set up with me, but without his permission I don't feel comfortable sharing them.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/my-introduction-128527.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t56-all-wheel-drive-adapter-129075.html?highlight=awd

BTW, a little birdie told me that George at Rockland Standard Gear has been involved in putting together a couple awd t-56 units.

A new tail housing casting would be ideal, but I think a Viper tail housing would move the shifter far enough forward to allow for modifications similar to what has been done in the above syty.net links. Being a Syclone owner, I would like to see a t-56 with custom tail housing that would bolt in the place of the 4wd 4l60e/700r4 which would allow the transfer case to remain in the stock location. With the resources available here at pro-touring.com I think this could be accomplished.

Whoever does the mock up on this new production part :fingersx: make sure it will allow several transfer cases to bolt up, such as the BW-4472 (Syclone, Typhoon, Bravada, Astro), NVG-149 (Silverado SS), and NV-120 (Trailblazer SS).

Jonesy_SA
07-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the links, i had read a few before and found the syty.net site helpful. I checked out the hotrodders links but it says he has only posted 3 messages. Has he compleated much in the project? There was nothing on there so not to keen to sign up and bug him.
Also ive continued this ans another question in a post related to my vehicle HERE (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?p=410539).
thanks
jonesy

absmith
07-05-2008, 07:45 AM
He has completed quite a bit on the transmission/transfer case. I just googled his user name and found him on another board, then used his profile info to find an e-mail address. As I said earlier, he shared a few pictures of his set up. He said he doesn't post online much and I can see why based on how he was received in the second link. I encouraged him to share his progress (other places) as this is a unique project.

I've also contacted xr4x4ti (the first link). It looks like his setup would be the easiest/most affordable to replicate. Still waiting on his response.

Jeeping Jeff
09-12-2008, 05:44 AM
I would appreciate if anyone out there has the blueprints for adapting the t56 to AWD transfer case...or any transfer case (would actually PREFER a transfer case with H-N-L selection

odd application but I'm putting in a cj7. Plenty of room so open to all suggestions

deviousz28
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
I know this is bringing a post back from the dead, but here is a completed car using a Trailblazer SS front frame section complete with running gear. It looks a little nose heavy to say the least.

http://www.customshop.org/html/cars/ssawd_camaro/ssawd_camaro_main.html