PDA

View Full Version : NHRA Rule check - need confirmation

Rolling_Thunder
10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
well - i went to NHRA's website and lo-behold it is too hard to find something that deals with my one question....

I plan on attending a 1/4 mile drag track day in a couple weeks - a club is renting the track for the day so I am curious how that effects tech inspection... I have been to a dragstrip once to race and that was in vegas... I was in a convertible, had the top down, no helmet, no rollbar, and a cooler full of beer in the trunk so i have never really been through a real tech inspection...

Here's my question:

If I am running a stock car with a 4-speed, do I need to run a scattershield (projecting mid 13's)?

I only ask because I am planning on taking my boss's Superbird - I dont feel like hitting the floor with a BFM to get a scattershield to fit... would I still be ok to run ?

Bill Howell
10-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I would say you are safe, at least in the 13s.
It will probably come down to how strick they tech the cars, but I bet they will let you slide, just to see the Superbird make a lap.

Steve1968LS2
10-19-2007, 07:07 PM
well - i went to NHRA's website and lo-behold it is too hard to find something that deals with my one question....

I plan on attending a 1/4 mile drag track day in a couple weeks - a club is renting the track for the day so I am curious how that effects tech inspection... I have been to a dragstrip once to race and that was in vegas... I was in a convertible, had the top down, no helmet, no rollbar, and a cooler full of beer in the trunk so i have never really been through a real tech inspection...

Here's my question:

If I am running a stock car with a 4-speed, do I need to run a scattershield (projecting mid 13's)?

I only ask because I am planning on taking my boss's Superbird - I dont feel like hitting the floor with a BFM to get a scattershield to fit... would I still be ok to run ?

No, you shouldn't need a scattershield. Hell, stock f-bodies (4th gens) run 12's all the time bone stock. When you get in the 11's the rules get a LOT more strict. the rules for 13's is pretty light. You will need a REAL helmet. many times they won't take a motorcycle helmet.

Make sure the car doesnt leak fluids, you have a radiator catch can and that everything (like the battery) is secured.

Rolling_Thunder
10-19-2007, 07:13 PM
ok - i knew about the catch can already and the helmet (got one) so hopefully they wont sweat me too much... I'm just planning on making 2 or 3 passes just for the photo-ops... I'll be there supporting my boss and other customers

Thanks alot guys!

steemin
10-20-2007, 05:03 PM
My experience with track rental days is that the tech is usually pretty lax. I don't really understand why?
I would still want to follow the rules.
The rules are in place for reasons other than liablity.
Scott

rocketman
10-20-2007, 05:39 PM
If it is a true street car they won't be strict if they tech them at all. the local track here doesn't, if it's a truly a fast car, they will inforce the NHRA rules, in coulding a NHRA liciense, if your that fast