PDA

View Full Version : paint ideas

rayy
01-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I am new to the site and I love it. After looking around on the site for awhile I was very impressed with quality of cars by the members. I am about to paint my 69 mach 1 mustang and since most of you have your hand on the pulse of whats hot and whats not. I would like to hear from some of you on paint ideas for my 69. I have always liked silver but that is being done alot lately. I dont have time to have Kris do a rendering and I dont want somthing to trendy. Thanks for any ideas.

Piet
01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Everyone has done Elenor... I mean I love it... but everyone has done it.
How about a two tone? A black top and silver bottom.

MuscleRodz
01-12-2005, 10:32 AM
I love the Gambler green Foose came up with on the SEMA "Overhaulin" episode. That paint scheme was nice also.

Mike

RobM
01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
silver is a very "in" color and looks very good but since there are so many silver pt cars it wont get you noticed any more (at least in the magazine world). ive always liked black (hence why my car is black with dark silver z -28 stripes). also a midnight blue that has some metalic in it would be really nice, the next car i do will probebly be a really dark metalic blue. But in reality im sure what ever color you paint the car it will be unlike any thing ells in town.

justanova
01-14-2005, 10:43 AM
as much as I don't like boyd coddington, the yellow with silver stripes on the mustang he built looks sharp. maybe yellow with a diff color stripes :dunno:

rayy
01-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I have about got it down to two colors, atlas grey that audi makes or a new blue from GM called blue chip. Has anybody seen the blue that I am talking about. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for all the help.

JoshStratton
01-20-2005, 10:18 AM
It's ok to ask for paint ideas, but I am a firm believer in doing what fits your mood or personality, while being unique. If I were you, I would take a look at yourself and see what colors you think best describe you. Get a PPG book at your local paint shop(like $5.00) and flip through it. There are a lot of colors out there that many people have not used before.

I hate those TV shows where they steal peoples cars and 'Overhaul' them because they are left to the descresion of the designer...sure they ask a few questions about the personality of the owner...likes/dislikes, but what it should really come down to is what YOU want in the car...not necessarily because it is a popular choice.

My advise is to have fun with it...find something you can that catches YOUR eye...not necessarily everyone elses. Afterall, if you are going to spend $5000-10,000 for a paint job (assuming you dont do it yourself), you better make sure it is what you truly want.

...in my humble opinion

Piet
01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Did I mention the Grey Black? :bananna2:

A member here, Drewhelm painted his 1969 Firebird a 2005 Chrysler Midnight Blue Pearl Effect over GM Pewter. The blue goes from black

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1728

So pretty

Steve1968LS2
01-20-2005, 02:34 PM
I am new to the site and I love it. After looking around on the site for awhile I was very impressed with quality of cars by the members. I am about to paint my 69 mach 1 mustang and since most of you have your hand on the pulse of whats hot and whats not. I would like to hear from some of you on paint ideas for my 69. I have always liked silver but that is being done alot lately. I dont have time to have Kris do a rendering and I dont want somthing to trendy. Thanks for any ideas.

Im thinking of a pearl olive/mist green would be nice with maybe a nice silver or even pewter striping scheme. I can picture it in my mind :)

Matt
01-20-2005, 03:40 PM
If you have any interest in doing your car in the same vein as 'Bullett' a nice dark green would be cool, something akin to british racing green. Black doesn't usually stick out quite enough, red is often overdone. Green is still pretty mellow, but it will stand out in a crowd.

I'm a huge fan of gunmetal, but on your car I think you would be emulating the Eleanor too much.