PDA

View Full Version : Working in garage w/out pissing off old lady

rbr4155
01-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey guys,

I might be desperate to be looking for advice on this topic here, but who better than my fellow gear heads who have had to battle the issue of getting in trouble w/ the old lady for spending countless hours in the garage. What do you do to get away w/ this? Help! ha...

mdprovee
01-12-2005, 07:56 AM
With my wife the little things help. She does scrapbooking, so let her do her thing, and I take care of our son. Some others are, send her flowers at work for no reason, diamonds at x-mas, take the kids and let her have a day with girlfriends, help with chores around the house without being asked 100 times, little love notes around the house. I dont always follow my own advice, but learned some things from my dad.

Mike

68BNUT
01-12-2005, 08:16 AM
I always just act like im gonna start cleaning the house when I know she is feelin lazy, she'll always be like "what are you doin dont do that" so then I just say well Im going out to the garage then. Guilt trip but it works!! Sometimes when the car is running let her take it around the block or two. Or when you need an extra hand ask her to help, My wife is an excelent partner for bleeding the brake lines!! That helps when they know you want them to be a part of the process.

Jagarang
01-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Even with the little extras I do for her, my wife frequently gets jealous of inanimate objects. It's hopeless!

MuscleRodz
01-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Plan "A". If she don't mind getting dirty, let her in on the fun so she don't feel like she is being left out. Plan "B". Try equal quality time by limiting how much you in the garage. If all else fails, revert to plan "C" which is giving her equal checkbook/shopping mall time.

Mike

harshman
01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
With my wife the little things help. She does scrapbooking, so let her do her thing, and I take care of our son. Some others are, send her flowers at work for no reason, diamonds at x-mas, take the kids and let her have a day with girlfriends, help with chores around the house without being asked 100 times, little love notes around the house. I dont always follow my own advice, but learned some things from my dad.

Mike
… buy her Armor All and wheel polish for Valentines Day. :rotfl:

I tell her it is a way for me to express myself and contemplate the complexities of life. I’m not sure if it works or not. She just gives me a perplexed stare and away I go.
:getout:

rob07002
01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
tell her "its less embarassing then a therapy program"
or
"how else am I supposed to hide my drinking problem"

works every time

rbr4155
01-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, these are some great responses so far, keep em coming. I get the idea though and will start thinking about how to use some of these tactics. MDprovee you seem to have it set out pretty good as well as muscle rodz. Thanks and look forward to seeing some more ideas and strategies here. ( sorry i got all Dr. phil on ya'll but this may help!)

trapin
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Money.

MarkM66
01-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I just remind her how much money I'll make on the car when I sell it, :) .

TonyL
01-12-2005, 12:16 PM
get her involved. Ask for her input. Then do stuff that SHE wants to do. Things she's wanted to do since she was a teenager. This works well for me.

oh. and you might not let her know you refer to her as "the old lady" lol

/kidding.

rbr4155
01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
old lady seems to be slightly less offensive than broad. but i'm too far below the mason dixon to actually use the word broad. i'm not even sure if i'm spelling that right!

in2protour
01-12-2005, 12:27 PM
start rebuilding an engine in the kitchen and when she sees the mess, she'll kick your arse out to the garage! j/k Like everyones been saying, spend "quality time" with your wife, take her out once in a while, she'll loosen up.

rbr4155
01-12-2005, 12:52 PM
well she's not even my wife and I do take her out, plenty. hmmmm....

rob07002
01-12-2005, 01:33 PM
well she's not even my wife and I do take her out, plenty. hmmmm....
Well then marry her, I'm sure everyone here would agree, things get better after your married:lmao:

Tim_in_NC
01-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Just come right out and tell her...

This is how it's going to be...

I've been doing it for some time... Maybe that's why my cheeks are always so RED https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/images/smilies/hand.gif

JK...

TIM

Bill Howell
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Ok, for all you not born in the south...
Here almost all of the females that we become romantically involved with fall into one of three categories
1) girlfriend-someone you date and/or see on a regular basis
2)wife-the one that you take to the altar,sign papers with and spend a mega bucks to reverse said actions
3) old lady-she is your live in companion,thinks she is your wife and will become common law wife if you keep her long enough. Since she does not have the security of marriage she is usually jealious of your friends and hobbies, or anything she deems a threat to the relationship.

My response to the original post:If you love her, marry her, give her your check book and ask pretty please when you want anything. If you see the tell tell signs things are not going to work out, bail now before you tie the knot. If working on your car is causing issues, it is probably time to sit down and have that heart to heart about the relationship. You will probably find that this is not the only issue, or possibly not the issue at all. Either way work it out now before you come home and find her/car/both gone.

If this sounds like the words of experiance, guess what....
Just my .02

P.S. I would go on but my wife is calling. Yes dear, I am on the way....:lmao: :lmao:

bookends
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
I do little things to annoy her, like play with the dog while she's trying to watch her shows. after about thirty minutes I usually get kicked out into the garage anyway.

Kenova
01-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Give her a choice. You can work in the garage (where she knows where you are) or you can be out on the town with the "boys" (in which case she won't know where you are or what you are doing).
Ken

Fluid Power
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Mike (mdprovee) has my play book down pat. Do the things she wants to do, take the kids for the day, go shopping with her (with out bitchin' and looking bored) plan things for a weekend night. etc. etc. These work wonders for me and my wife, I go to the garage without guilt and without getting hassled. Compromise is the name of the game. I have had a ton of cars, done a ton of projects and spent a TON of money, but I pick up after myself, put the lid down, and pitch in around the house.

darren

gmachinz
01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I got a whole 'nother tactic when it comes to gettin' stuff done in the garage! If I really need to spend some time in there and she wants me to spend quality time inside, I turn on a movie that I know she'll fall asleep to and once she's out-BAM! Out the door I go. Then she flashes my garage lights about two or three hours later and asked, "what are you doing out here?" I reply, "well, you fell asleep so I thought what the hell, Im going out to work on the car." LOL It worked for about two years, then she got wise to it. Now, I work on stuff for a living and she knows if she wants to be a stay at home mom, she'll have to let me do what I need to do. -Jabin

qwik1320
01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Tell her you're thinking of selling the car and joining a swingers club. If she doesn't flinch pull out the digital camera and say you need to take some photos for the application. :naughty:

ertoys
07-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Its nice to know I am not the only one who has this problem.

I just lock her in the closet and let her out when I am done in garage.:guilty:

jeffandre
07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
My first wife was impossible, the only way I improved on it was moving the car to her mother's garage for a few years. SInce we went there at least 2x/week I got to do some projects, not to mention the days where I spent hours tweaking.

My current wife also struggles with the car thing. The money spent (I am fairly cheap, do almost all of my own work), the time I need, and the reality that the car will be an even bigger distraction once it is done all lead to a weekly struggle in my household.

After a number of counseling sessions we were able to develop some sort of compromise. Instead of spending whatever I want and dealing with the aftermath, I get a set dollar amount each paycheck, which forces me to save and slows evwerything down, but the plus sides are that I can count on it and I can spend more time planning/developing, which generally means fewer wasted dollars.

Instead of spending tons of time in the garage at the expense of the relationship, we plan the garage time around both of our needs, which reduces her frustration and improves our harmony, a good thing in a marriage. I can always go out to the garage when she is spending the 60-90 minutes getting ready every morning too, so that helps. It doesn't help that I am a golf nut too, which cuts into the car funds and time...

SInce i don't do this for a living and it is a lifelong hobby I actually like the relaxed pace I am 'forced' to live with. My wife is an awesome and passionate partner, and after one failed 14-year relationship that was bad for many of those 14 years, I can truly appreciate that the last 9 years with my current life have been better than almost every relationship I know or have known. Working towards harmony is a great thing!

CAMAROBOY69
07-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I just kept taking my girlfriend to car shows and Power tour, and woodward. After a few events like that she now has her own car and she works on it while I work on mine. Thursday she was welding on her floor while I worked on my dash gauges.

astroracer
07-15-2005, 11:19 AM
I've got it pretty good when it comes to my better half. She is absolutely a-ok with the time I spend working in the shop or working on the computer. She says she knows where I'm at, what I'm doing and what I'm spending my money on.
Some of you know what I'm talking about and some of you should bring this point up the next time she complains. You could be doing much worse things with your time and money... :naughty: :spank2:

parsonsj
07-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Well ... my wife and I go through cycles on this subject. I occasionally have to take a month off and paint a room or some other "wifey" project. She is well aware of the incredible cost of building these kinds of cars, and that causes some stress too.

We've been married 15 years now, and we both are deeply invested in the relationship, so we work it out. She knows I will be in major thrash mode in another 3 or 4 weeks and that that will last for several months. It's a tradeoff for several months of not much activity, plus the light at the end of the project tunnel.

But all in all, she's been awesome. I'm thinking I need to something special with jewelry when the car is done. I should probably just roll it right into the budget!

jp

68BNUT
07-15-2005, 06:57 PM
I hear you on the cycle thing, after project 4 wheel disc brakes I had to do project paint babys room. Then I got to enjoy the car for awhile toolin around, standing in the garage staring at it. Now were on to project New baby, Ill give that a few months, when the babys not so time consuming Ill start on project 5 speed whoo hoo! Its all about the trade offs.

Jim Nilsen
07-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Jeff Andre and John got the best ways and Bill really understands too.

My approach and I fit into Bills last category is this.

I pay for everything and if the others want something they have to get a job and get it themselves. Hey it's fair right! no responsibilities for them and all the opportunity to have what they want with no worries of failing or losing security for them . So If I want to afford it I get it , just that simple.The main thing is we are all taken care of.

The main thing that supports this is that when we met I informed her that there would always be a car and that if it bothered her she had better not fall in love with me because it would just be trouble and we didn't need to go there. So she has to admit that she fell in love with a guy and a car and that is the way it is and if she tries to change it I won't be the guy she fell in love with so we wouldn't be happy that way.

We went to counseling once and the counselor thought it was the most unselfish way of treating someone he had ever seen. He had to keep reminding her how generous I was and how supportive I was toward helping her to achieve what she wanted if she would just want it bad enough to apply herself.

It's been a struggle just to find the money all of the time to do the car and life has stopped it dead in its tracks more times than she ever could have. 3 different jobs later and a new house and I am just about ready to finish it even if I have to take it to Crystal Lake and have Jeff finish it. Just a warning to you Jeff ,I may call you someday if I just can't wait!!! It's that close to being done.

The best thing is to not let a car ruin your life even if you don't have a family , girlfriend or a wife and let time and persevereance get you to the end without losing anything you don't want to lose .

Its been since 1991 when I bought the body to start with so figure out how long it can take without giving up only a couple of times because of lack of funds.But I never sold it and never regret it and I love this place ,don't you.

I have to thank everyone for being there even if they didn't know it.

Long live Pro-Touring .com

Jim Nilsen

CDJr
07-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Tell her you're thinking of selling the car and joining a swingers club. If she doesn't flinch pull out the digital camera and say you need to take some photos for the application. :naughty:

LMAO Todd. Mines not so disgruntled about the time I spend in the garage as she is about losing her parking spot IN the garage. :)

Steve Chryssos
07-16-2005, 03:31 AM
My wife is an absolute trooper:
-I have a dedicated "car room" in the house that's full of nothing but car memorabilia.
-The garage is full of toys.
-The basement is full of Twist Machine,LLC inventory.
-The bathrooms are full of car magazines
-My day job? Cars
-My night job? Cars
-My hobby? Cars
Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars!
:screwy:

vanzuuk1
07-16-2005, 03:35 AM
Steve

As if to prove your point, you (we) are up at 7:30 in the am talking about cars!

Steve Chryssos
07-16-2005, 04:06 AM
Only because at 7:00AM, I was in the "library" reading Chevy Hi-Perf.
What is my point? :hmm:

dgumoe
07-16-2005, 06:47 AM
i dont have any issues with my wife about me being in the garage too much. probably cause my "garage" is the 3rd bedroom in the apartment. my problem is she wants a garage so she can get me and all my "greasy crap" outta the house. its quite amusing actually to have your neighbors knock on your door and ask if everything is allright cause they heard a terrible racket when the terrible racket was me cutting ABS on my table saw to make a dashboard with. lol. but truth be told, some women are cool with the cars and some arent, just like some of us dont care if they go hang out with their "guy friends" and some flip out over it. just do what you can to keep her happy and remember, just like the cars, there's always another one out there if the on youve got is too much to handle. :cheers:

Kenova
07-16-2005, 11:45 AM
LMAO Todd. Mines not so disgruntled about the time I spend in the garage as she is about losing her parking spot IN the garage. :)
My wife is the same. She doesn't mind parking outside from spring to fall, but when we start getting heavy frosts, she wants a spot in the garage. That means I have to find storage if I have more than one car.
Ken

ertoys
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
My wife is the same. She doesn't mind parking outside from spring to fall, but when we start getting heavy frosts, she wants a spot in the garage. That means I have to find storage if I have more than one car.
Ken

:lol: My wife also gets "upset" when she cant get her car in the garage, she says thats why we built an oversized three car garage.

I told her I know but I need more room.

My wife is actually VERY cool about the garage thing.

She usually goes to bed aroung 10 or 11 on the weekends, and I stay up till 2 or 3 in the garage.

bnoon
07-29-2005, 02:36 PM
I have one set day during the week that I go out to the garage for a few hours, and for now, it's Tuesdays. I get just about every other Saturday all day until evening to play cars too. Then I have to take her out Saturday night, tell her I love her, then spend time with her all day on Sunday. Works out well... and it helps that she likes football in the fall, or she would miss Sundays, LOL!

race-rodz-inc
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
wow i must be spoiled...... i told my g/f when we got together that her opinion means nothing to me.... and dont bother trying to express it. so far she has only mouthed off a couple times...yet after coming home and finding all her shi.....stuff on the front lawn.... she went back to seeing things my way. yeah... im thinkin she might be a keeper if she can put up with me for a few more years.... oh yeah... she cooks too

69rs
07-29-2005, 07:34 PM
race-rodz----->:box:<-----girlfriend

race-rodz-inc
07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
lol... that was the last g/f.

Stu Seitz
07-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Wow I'm 20 now and after reading this I'm still not looking for a girlfriend.

Kinred
07-31-2005, 02:11 PM
LOL, I'm moving in the next month, and the wife has offered to paint the garage to get me out of the house.

TA219
08-01-2005, 11:56 AM
If she complains and wants to spend time with me i invite her to the garage to talk (if she gets louder then the grinder then i know i am in trouble) lol

No really ... she knows i hated not having a project and she sees how happy i am now that i have a project and a goal and she is understanding, plus when she sees me come in all greasy and dirty she knows that i havent been with another woman. :lol:

toxicz28
08-01-2005, 04:52 PM
If she complains and wants to spend time with me i invite her to the garage to talk (if she gets louder then the grinder then i know i am in trouble) lol

No really ... she knows i hated not having a project and she sees how happy i am now that i have a project and a goal and she is understanding, plus when she sees me come in all greasy and dirty she knows that i havent been with another woman. :lol:
My wife knew how I was without a project too. Five months after I bought my '02 camaro SS, I told her I wanted to build another car, and she said "go ahead"
Now, I drag her into the garage sometimes to help out. She was 9 months pregnant, and her and my two-year old son helped me install leaf springs :yeah: . (relax, she only got me wrenches and the boy delivered them under the car) Had her help patch the trans tunnel too! I let her do light duty stuff.

toofun
08-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Want to work on the car? Tell your wife its Magarita night ans slip a micky in her drink. Should buy you about four hours of garage time by the time she recovers!! :seizure: (just kidding!!)

For me it has been a long fought battle but I realize that with my hectic work schedule and the kids, dont really have much time to work in the garage without taking away from them.... SO... I have grown use to the idea of waking up at 3:00 am and working on the car until 5:45, then shower get dressed and into work by 6:30 am. Do the same thing at night after the wife and kids are asleep from 10:00-12:00 pm. My body has grown use to the double car shift and only 3 hours of sleep in between. Mostly done with my car now but now fine myself staring at the ceiling for two and a half hours every morning from 3:00 on :rolleyes5

Mark
TOOFUN

nitrovette
08-04-2005, 05:04 AM

Mike
yep same here ,shes going scrapbooking for the weekend and i watch the kid,when she gets back i get time in the garage for myself.