PDA

View Full Version : Best camshaft for the street?

Project69
10-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Ive kinda narrowed it down to one of these:

Hydraulic Roller-camshaft
LT4 Hot cam: duration @ .050" is 218/228, lift 525/525 w/ 1.6 rockers.

Hydraulic Flat-tappet
Voodoo cam: duration @ .050" is 233/241, lift 504/525 (w/ 1.5 rockers im guessing doesnt say)

If i decide to go roller im looking at using the LT4 hot cam or the flat-tappet if i cant get a roller block. Now my question is what cam would work best with 10.5:1 c/r, 383 sbc? if you would reccomend a different roller or flat tappet cam id love to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

Oh and im hoping to get atleast 450hp crank.

bbcc
10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Way to vague. In order to best choose a camshaft one needs to know a ton of variables. For instance, what kind of driving will you be doing, what kind of fuel will you like to run, what kind of gears do you have(tranny and rear end), tire size, how heavy is the vehicle, what kind of heads do you have, what intake, intended rpm range. The list goes on. Your probably best to call your cam vendor of choice and let them ask you all these questions.

I'm going to say this just out of my opinion, some will disagree. The LT4 hot came is way to small for your power goals (assuming no power adders). The Lunati Voodoo cam is a bit to large to be a souly street cam if you plan to drive it everyday, but it is around the right size to make your intended power (you will still more than likely fall short of your goals); aswell, you will need a supporting cast of a higher stall converter, numericly high rear gears, some sort of stand alone engine managment(given you want efi), and possibly an electric vacume pump if you want power brakes and other vacume accesories. In any case call your cam provider and talk to them, they will guide you in the right direction.

Hope this is of some help.

cheers bbcc

MonzaRacer
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
The HOT roller is awesome and very torquey. And if the block isnt roller just use retrofit lifters

TnBlkC230WZ
10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
The hot cam is the cam used in the ZZ430. The ZZ430 is basically a fast burn 385 engine with the hot cam and rockers and GMPP single plane manifold. Need to figure out how to get the extra 20 HP. 200 CC Dart Pro 1s and the added compression may do the trick. The cam works great in the ZZ4 which has 10:1 compression.

GeoffP
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
You might also want to look at the cc305. This cam was VERY popular with LT1 guys when it was the motor to buy/build. I am soon to fire mine for the first time with a cc305 (hopefully by next weekend).

pdq67
10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Imho, and I figure that I will get some static here.......

But imho a 270, (SB), to 280, (BB), cam is about the max that can be ran on the street as a REAL daily driver!!

AND I figure ALL the the CAM MAKER'S tell us that when they say, "largest cam for a stock converter"!!!

pdq67