PDA

View Full Version : Warning Stock Hub Failure

ProBell
10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I just wanted to warn any one that is running stock hubs on their cars. I had a stock hub crack in only 2 sessions with slicks wile testing at Pocono in prep for the XV Event. They did have 10 or so track days on them with street tires.
I was planning to change the spindles and hub any ways but this was to close to crashing the car for me.
I put a set of Speed Tech Performance hubs on for the XV event. They are a nice piece. http://www.speedtech-performance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=52/category_id=192/home_id=192/mode=prod/prd52.htm
I do not want to raise any unneeded red flags. I was pushing the car quite hard, I also melted the 2 front valve stems just about off and went through a set of Hawk HPS pads in 80 min of track time.
So if you plan to track your cars just think about the hubs and spindles.

Randy

parsonsj
10-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Yes, that's good advice.

My C4 hubs lasted 700 miles and 3 track events. Consider them a wear item, and check them before every event.

jp

killer69
10-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the plug, those should last you more than 80 mins.
you got the last set so i guess i will need to get a few more built!!
let me know how they work under your obviously harsh conditions

79T/Aman
10-18-2007, 06:58 PM
well from the pic it looks like the crack may have been there because it looks like there is paint in it but may have spread during your track time.

Steve Chryssos
10-19-2007, 02:53 AM
That's one way to drive the wheels off of your car.

David Sloan
10-19-2007, 03:56 AM
That's one way to drive the wheels off of your car.

LOL! Aint that the Truth!!

PARKERRS
10-19-2007, 04:55 AM
JP I thought your problem was bearings that you bought from a source you were unsure of and not the hub itself ? It looks like what 79T/Aman said an old crack that has opened up from heat and the hard use. Glad you caught it before it caused damage or injury. After what has happened to you and to JP I think I'll check my hubs and bearings a little more regularly.

parsonsj
10-19-2007, 05:04 AM
I got my original hubs on ebay (they came in a new box) at hundreds of dollars less than the dealer wanted, so yeah, one of my theories was that they were a cheap import brand re-boxed to look like GM parts.

I found out later that the hub nut that sets the bearing pre-load had rotated 1/8" of a turn which allowed the hub to come apart slightly and caused the failure.

So ... I still don't know if the part was inferior, defective, or if I was just unlucky. Until (or if) I get a better answer I'll check them regularly.

jp

68sixspeed
10-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Randy- good post and a note for all of us to watch. I'm starting to wonder which way to go on the next car... I was thinking APS spindles , but after reading some posts on some of the corvette forums, the sealed bearing units aren't up to the task either. I think it's time for some purpose built spindles with a larger center pin but still on timken wheel bearings for service-ability.

CarlC
10-19-2007, 07:51 PM
John,

I do not believe that there is a cheapie knock-off of the Corvette hub. Too low a production number for the Chinese to make money at.

I believe they are all made by Delphi.

parsonsj
10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
do not believe that there is a cheapie knock-off of the Corvette hub. Too low a production number for the Chinese to make money at.True, but: many many (most?) GM cars use similar hubs, starting with Buicks way back in '82. Near as I can tell the only difference between all of the hubs is the manner in which the ABS sensor is attached. Chinese manufacturers are probably making some of those, and it would be an easy thing to sell C4 hubs too ...

I just checked my old ones: they are stamped "Made in the USA". I dunno ... we'll see how the new ones do.

jp