PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler diagram?

Rob68427
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello
I have a 68 Chevelle with a Big Block & 200 R4 trans
Do you run the trans cooler lines to the Radiator & trans cooler?
Or just to the trans cooler?
I have a Be Cool aluminum radiator.

Thanks In advance

GetMore
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
You have just opened a can of worms!
The correct answer is No. No matter what you want to do somebody will tell you it's wrong, and they will have a good reason why.

I would run it the way the factories do now. They run the fluid through the radiator, and then to the aftermarket cooler.

If you live in a warm area this is the best way. If you plan on driving the car when it is freezing out you might consider running it through the cooler, then the radiator.
Bypassing the radiator is not wrong, but you might as well use the cooler in the radiator.

Rob68427
10-20-2007, 04:37 AM
Thanks
that was the way I had it before, but heard some many different people say different things. Wanted to get somebody elses opinion.
Going on a 3 year build. Starting to get to the home stretch.

thanks

HILROD
10-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Almost all big name trans builders will tell you to run it into the trans first, then cooler, then back to the trans. The radiator will actually bring the trans up to operating temp faster which is good. Also the radiator will pre cool the fluid before being further cooled by the cooler, after longer use. If the cooler is mounter before or instead of the radiator it is less effective.

MarkM66
10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/FAQ.asp#1