PDA

View Full Version : Lowering block question

crazyfireman
10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I went to install lowering blocks on the rear and the blocks have a 1/2 nipple on them. My springs have a nipple on the bottom side but none on the top? Just 2 flat surfaces,so should I grind off these nipples???

HILROD
10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I've never seen a spring without anything on one side. Sounds like the center pin is broke. Can you post a pic?

crazyfireman
10-17-2007, 05:37 PM
the center pin is on the underside of the springs..

eville
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
there should be a pin on top of the spring that goes into the rearend. Otherwise what would keep the rearend centered on the spring...
i think you've got a broken pin... look in the centering hole on the spring perch.
Post a pic.

MrQuick
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Its basically a bolt thats head is rounded off. The nut is on the bottom.

If it is broken you can replace it with a 1/4" x 1 1/4" (depending on how many leafs you have) hardened bolt then take a grinder to the head and round it off so it will fit into your rear end perch.

crazyfireman
10-23-2007, 05:44 AM
OK here is what I have, I want to add the lowering blocks, safely..

Magntik
10-23-2007, 05:56 AM
From the depth of the spring perches on the rearend, it looks like the monoleaf rear in my Firebird.

When I bought the mono to multi leaf conversion kit from DSE, they provide a steel block with a "hole" in it, to accomadate the pin in a multileaf.

Guess if DSE says sells something like that, and you trust them to sell decent stuff, it would stand to reason a guy could modify a block in the same way, wouldn't it?

It may also depend on the size of block too.

Just my 2 cents

HILROD
10-23-2007, 06:18 AM
The upper part is missing. You can just get a bolt 3/8 fine thread I think, and leave the head on top and the nut and extra thread can hang down. If the bolt head won't fit into the hole in the spring bracket or drop block, just grind the points off the head a little. If you have a local spring shop, they will sell you a couple center bolts. The rubber spring pads won't be needed anymore.

crazyfireman
10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
OK, so the bolt head will assist in help holding the blocks in place. If I remove the rubber pads I wont feel it in the car?

79T/Aman
10-23-2007, 07:14 AM
use an allen (cap screw) bolt it the head is a bit taller and round, and if the lowerring blocks's hole is too small it can be drilled to fit in fact some blocks use allen head bolts as locator pins.

crazyfireman
10-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Cool that is what I will do. Do you think I should remove the rubber pads?

HILROD
10-23-2007, 08:04 AM
The rubber pads won't be needed. Hardly any other cars use them, maybe Lincolns. I don't think you'll notice any change in the ride quality. They'll just cause trouble with the lowering blocks. There is a thread just down the page about the springs slipping in the pads.

crazyfireman
10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks!