PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank questions

Mr. B
10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I've got a 67 Camaro that is going in to be mini tubbed in a few weeks. Right now I'm running a carbureted engine, but next fall I plan on putting in one that's fuel injected. I obviously don't want to have to swap out an expensive tank that is less than a year old when I change to fuel injection. What are my options?

Overkill
10-17-2007, 03:52 AM
You can run the same tank with or without fuel injection, the only difference being the fuel pump that you are using. You would want to have a sump of some sort or baffling built around the pick-up tube so that you don't have any fuel starvation problems once you make the switch to fuel injection. I haven't personally heard of anyone using an intank pump with a carberator, but don't know why you couldn't use one like Aeromotive in the tank and then switch to their pump for fuel injection once you go that route. The safer but noisier bet is to get a tank that uses an external pump so that you don't have to worry about modifying the pick-up tube in the tank if the pumps are a different size. Since I haven't completed my mini-tub yet, I'm not sure what all interferes with the tank except for maybe the exhaust if you route it to exit at the stock location. But, I know that there are several vendors that can/do make modified tanks to suit any customizations that you would need.

Mr. B
10-17-2007, 05:32 AM
You know, I got to thinking after I posted this. I'm going to be running a G-Bar, not leafs. Do I even need a narrow tank? If not, I could run my stock tank until I switch to fuel injection, then get the new tank.

Overkill
10-17-2007, 05:36 AM
You wouldn't need a narrowed one with the G-Bar, but it still might interfere with exhaust at the front corners. I know that on Charlie's Mule, they boxed in the front corners a little, but that might be because of the size of exhaust tubing or something. Charlie or maybe Jody could answer this question a little better than me.

HILROD
10-17-2007, 07:23 AM
The tank would need to be modified in some way to get the tailpipes out. If you got a new tank it could be modified to fit and sumped, to be used for either setup. Personally I would run the tank as is, with turndowns, till your final setup. I hate paying twice.