PDA

View Full Version : My car won't restart easy when warm.

aggressive male
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
My car starts fine when totally cold but when warmed up it won't crank easy. I took off the distributor cap and found when you turn the advance and let go it won't go quite all the way back on it's own. Could this be my problem? Just a little too much advance when warm? It runs fine when warm, just hesitates when cranking.

hotrdblder
10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
too much timing, retard timing 2 degress try again, how much total timing now?

6'9"Witha69
10-16-2007, 04:41 PM
That or the starter is overheated.

aggressive male
10-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have to find my timing light and measure. I think when I retard the timing a little it hot starts better but loses power and when I advance it I gain power and lose ability to hot start. What would you guys do?

class67
10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
That or the starter is overheated.

I agree, this is a common problem.

Vegas69
10-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Figure out which is easier to live with or get a better starting system starting with heat protection for your starter and a quality large cca battery.

aggressive male
10-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I really don't think the starter is overheating and I already have the biggest battery meant for that car. I never crank it long enough to overheat the starter, only 2 or 3 seconds.

paul67
10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Check your grounds ,and where is the battery.

hotrdblder
10-17-2007, 05:46 AM
mini starter or factory style? factory style bushings can where out, cauing brushes to drag on the case when hot

68Formula
10-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Should still be trying to figure out why the advance is not going completely back to zero.

6'9"Witha69
10-17-2007, 08:45 AM
I really don't think the starter is overheating and I already have the biggest battery meant for that car. I never crank it long enough to overheat the starter, only 2 or 3 seconds.The starter gets heat soaked from uder hood temps especially when headers are added around a factory style starter. It has nothing to do with how long you crank. Most of the time you will drain the battery down before overheating a starter by cranking.

Should still be trying to figure out why the advance is not going completely back to zero.
And yes, if the advance is not going back then that needs to be addressed as well. Look at the bushings the weights pivot on to ensure they are not worn out, use non conductive grease to lube them up if they are good and ensure the return springs are still in good condition (actually have enough 'spring' left in them to return the advance).

bochnak
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I had this problem after recurving my distributor and setting initial to 16° (was 0°). Motor loved it, starter did not. I replaced my battery cables to 1/0 gage (was 4 gage) and a mini starter from dbelectrial.com. I also relocated the ground to the block.

Starts like a champ now.

Headers do not help either.

Adam's 55 Chevy
11-22-2007, 07:03 AM
You can use a remote solenoid from MAD which helps. Also a heat shield to stop latent heat from getting to the starter when the car is sitting.

The other alternative is to spend out on a good quality mini starter. You don't need a top $ race one but you shouldn't buy one of the cheapo's either.