PDA

View Full Version : Muffler choices

whytry
01-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Hey guys,

On my 68 Camaro 468 BBC roller motor, I currently have the typical Flowmaster setup.. I was content with it for awhile, but now that I have a 5 Speed, when I go to shift when on it around 5-6k it drops RPM's so fast when depressing the clutch and it sounds horrible to me. All tinny.... Almost like it wraps or something..... In neutral it does not do that, but when I am driving it it does..

I was looking at changing to Lobacks(Spelling) I have a friend that has some on his 65 Mustang with a 302... It sounds really good to me...

Anybody heard these on a BBC? Did you like them? Other opinions are more than welcome...

streetk14
01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Exhaust is such a subjective thing. I have used a number of combinations, and am still trying to perfect the sound. My first system was an H-pipe system with the old style 2 chamber flowmsters and turn-downs. It was loud, and the resonance was pretty bad. Then I switched to an X-pipe system with Spin Tech's and full tailpipes out the back. It sounded cool at idle, kinda poppy. It also sounded awesome at full throttle, almost like open headers. But they sounded weird (almost like a ricer) while cruising at lower rpms. So... I swapped to delta flow 2 chambers. I was pretty happy with the sound. The x-pipe gave it a smooth tone, but it still had the flowmaster growl. I had them for at least a year, then a cop with too much time on his hands gave me an excessive noise ticket while idling down the street. So I swapped to a cheap set of thrush/dynomax turbos to try to pass the decibal test. The car failed by 1 decibal! I paid the ticket, but I am getting sick of the turbos. They just don't sound very good. I have a set of the old style 3 chamber flowmasters in my garage, and am itching to hear them. If you don't like the flowmaster sound, try something like a dynomax ultraflow or a Borla. I say keep trying till you're content.
Have fun,
Andy

Steve68
01-20-2005, 04:55 AM
I have a set of Rhino RPM's a couple of mags liked them, I have yet to hear them, cars no where together, Can't help, but on my Nova with a BB I have 3 chambers Flowmasters, sounds good to me, Steve