PDA

View Full Version : Need Head Gasket Help!!

WELTERRACER
01-11-2005, 08:09 AM
I want to add head gaskets to lower the compression on my SBC..

I am only running stock gaskets right now with PRO1 aluminum heads..

Current compression is 10.25 Im using Flat top pistons and have a ZERO deck hight!

Im looking for 9-9.50 as a final compression ratio!

HOW THICK AND WHAT KIND OF GASKETS SHOULD I USE?

Thanks..

Brian

ProdigyCustoms
01-11-2005, 08:32 AM
You can call Cometic gaskets, they go all the way up to .120, your stock ones are probably .037. Depending on bore and stroke specifics, along with combustion chamber size and valve reliefs, using a .080 or so gasket will get you were you want to be.
Any particular reason you want to drop the compression? Just curious, as mid 10s is perfect for a street motor.

WELTERRACER
01-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Going to add a VOrtec supercharger and Intercooler to my 84 camaro..

Expecting 600-670hp..

ProdigyCustoms
01-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Be careful using deck height or gasket to lower compression. It has a tendancy to cause rattle (detonation). It will probably work here, but in a perfect world a zero deck and dish piston would be better, or bigger combustion chambers.

WELTERRACER
01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
What do you figure my compression will change with a .080 gasket?

Ya i realize a dish piston would be better but not willing to spend the extra dough right now as it is going to take all my money just to get the superdcharger and intercooler, when the motor goes, its going to get a new stroker motor.. .. Motor has a little rattle anyway due to forged pistons and less than perfect tollerances..

Thanks for the help!!

ProdigyCustoms
01-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I will need bore, stroke, combustion chamber size, valve reliefs and deck height to be accurate. But basically it will drop you a point, or a bit more.

WELTERRACER
01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Just soo we are clear..... You are saying an .080 gasket by itself... not stacked on top of my stock one right??