PDA

View Full Version : power brake conversion

texas68firebird
01-10-2005, 07:40 PM
what is the easiest way to accomplish this? im running the stock front/rear drums until money permits me to run discs, what all do i need to get some power to these things? do i have to modify the brakes themselves or do i just need a power steering pump, booster and power steering box?

derekf
01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
You're wanting to go with a Hydroboost setup, or just a stock power brake setup?

If you're wanting Hydroboost, you'll need all those things you mentioned - you'd probably be better off just calling Paul at Hydratech and buying a kit.

For regular vacuum-assist brakes, you'd need the vacuum booster, possibly a different master cylinder, possibly a different pushrod, and a couple of fittings and a hose to hook the booster to the intake manifold.

Tom Welch
01-12-2005, 07:08 PM
You could try speedtech performance and convert the front brakes first, rears later. The possible issue with an incremental approach is having to replace new parts each time a modification is made. Derekf has the idea to try first. Upgrade to power drums.

texas68firebird
01-14-2005, 05:22 PM
power drums, unfortunately, is all i can afford at this time. thanks for the help!
richard