PDA

View Full Version : Help with home painting setup

ilovefirstgens
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Well I haven't posted here in a while since I had to sell my camaro and get jelous every time I see everyone elses beautiful rides!
<br><br>Well I now have a Ducati 748 I'm building up, At the moment prepping before doing a repaint. What I am looking to do is get a small setup that will lay down the paint well enough. I am planning on doing a plain old base/clear in white with stock decals on the sides and black "number plates" on the nose and tail. <br><br><br>If someone could give me a little walkthrough on the equip because I am fairly lost. What I was thinking so far was a pretty small 150~psi compressor with either a decent size tank, or an auxilary one (all i need is enough to do one panel at a time) Then a decent filter/dryer, and im totally clueless with guns, but there would be no reason to go overkill. I am assuming that because the guns are regulated It would be fine to have a small loss in pressure from beginning to end, keeping in mind the largest single part Ill be painting is a few feet square.

<br><br>Also where would I buy the other supplies, such as super fine sandpaper and actual paint?

<br><br>Thanks guys, and I might as well throw up a pic of the bike.&nbsp; <br><br>
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif<br><br>If anyone is interested here are the specs.<br>-97 748 Monoposto<br>-Marchesini 5 spokes powdercoated black<br>-Black powdercoated frame <br>-Ohlins triple clicker shock<br>-Ohlins steering dampner<br>-Braketech full floating ductile iron rotors<br>-Lightened flywheel<br>-520 conversion with lightened sprockets<br>-Termignoni cf slip ons<br>-bunch of carbon bits and other stuff<br><br>Future plans are<br>-999r ohlins forks with radial calipers<br>-Built ss Testastretta stroker (1100cc ~170rwhp)<br>-1098 swingarm<br>-Carbon tank and all bodywork<br><br>

badbu68
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Sorry I'm no help, but I wouldn't change a thing, that bike looks killer!

MrQuick
10-09-2007, 11:04 PM
agreed, how about a new suit? welcome back.

jy211
10-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo.....Don't paint it!

www.tapeworks.com (http://www.tapeworks.com)

ilovefirstgens
10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Haha oh... I forgot to mention a few things.

1. Thanks to an anonymous gang of drunk guys it got pushed over so most of the bodywork is trashed.(tank upper fairing, rh mid and lower, and the tail)

2. I have been pulled over 6 times on it (no tickets, they always say my exhaust is too loud or one of my headlights is "out" haha) According to one helpful officer they have heard a ton of calls about a loud yellow sportbike blasting around and that they will catch me if I keep it up yada yada yada. So having a new color wouldn't hurt... because there is no way I am changing the exhaust!

3. White is the new black, derr! Also the numberplates (white things on the tail, there is one on the nose as well) Will eventually be exposed carbon over clear, as will be the decals. I'm really trying to get this puppy around 400lbs wet, which is proving to be quite a burden on the wallet...

So on that note if anyone is looking for an intern anywhere in the mechanical engineering field that might pay half well let me know!

Vince, Already have full leathers, boots, gloves, and a very good helmet, spent $2500 there before even getting a bike...

As for the vynil number plates they would be fine if I had a plain monoposto that I wanted to dress up but If I am gonna do this I'm gonna at least go through the effort to have everything in paint that should be.

ilovefirstgens
10-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Oh and just to put it out there, that picture was taken 3 days after i bought it so thus the massive chicken strips.