PDA

View Full Version : Power steering or manual steering?

4birdman
10-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Which should I go with? The closest I've ever gotten to manual steering is when my Yukon used to cut out on me at highway speeds. :rotfl:

The 68 Camaro I'm building has a manual box in it now, probably trash, and I want to replace it. Would it be easier to go with a manual box or a power box?

I'm going to be installing a iron LS1 and T56 in the car, so if need be I can just run the LS1 PS pump and a power box.

Which would you guys go with? I know I have friends who swear by manual boxes, but I just think if you can go with power, why not?

BTW, what would be the best steering box to go with in either situation?

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-08-2007, 07:40 AM
power..

jknight16
10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll just put it to you this way, I just finished my front suspension update with the stuff listed in my sig. and a new manual box from Remy Racing, and I'm already shopping for everything to convert to power steering. In my opinion, the manual steering is just too heavy to ever realize the full potential of the suspension I've installed.

Don't get me wrong, car handles great now, but you'd need some serious guns to hussle it through cones or hit consecutive apexes.

Oh, and let's not forget, when you go with power steering, it makes the future upgrade to hydroboost much easier/cheaper/possible.

Edit: Everybody swears by the Lee Mfg. power steering boxes. Can't go wrong there. Unisteer has a very good deal going right now on their power steering boxes too, but I haven't heard from anyone with first-hand experience with it.

4birdman
10-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Cool, looks like power it is! :naughty:

Cyclone
10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I have a manual box in mine, but power would be nice!

rockdogz
10-09-2007, 07:43 PM
power FTW

UNISTEER
10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
We have a killer power box set up on sale right now..... take a look:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34628