PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my car a T top, need idea's please.

aggressive male
10-07-2007, 02:52 PM
My cadillac has a landau vinyl roof (in other words the first 2/3rd of the roof is normal but from door post back vinyl) There is rot under the trim where the vinyl begins and also major rot along the left gutter. I've been planning replacing the 1st 2/3rd's of the roof. But before I do I want to make the best of a bad situation and make it into a simple temporary T top. I'm looking for idea's please.

I was thinking bolt something to the T to reinforce it and make a button down cloth of some sort for when it rains? Will this work? Or maybe add vinyl to the top I cut out and leave it in the trunk ready to bolt with wing nuts?

danbob67
10-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I would say take some measurements and see if you can hunt down a mid 80's camaro or mustang with t tops at a junkyard and if they measure close width wise get cutting and grafting.

NudeAutoMall
10-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Very simple actualy. The two things you need to wory about most, the shape of your roof line above your door, and the shape of the top of your window. My guess would be a Montie would be your closest match. Take the whole roof off the donner car (cut it at all window posts). Take all the glass and the interior out of your Caddy, or you will break or burn it. The Cad roof is probably going to be wider, so you will need to split the donner roof length wise between the T's. Then give yourself about 4 inches of tin in front and in back of both T's, skin the rest of the tin off leaving the bracing in place. Next cut holes C's in your cady roof small enough for the tin to overlap a couple inches front back and middle. next maneuver the donner bracing inside the Caddy, while the donner tin around the T's will need to be on top of the Caddy's roof tin. You will have to cut some bracing out of the Caddy's roof as you replace it with the stronger bracing of the donner roof. You will probably have to cut and extend the bracing of the donner roof to fit the Caddy. This is where the leftover tin you skined off the donner roof will come in handy. You will need to coppy the bracing in shape, leaving a helthy overlap. You will also need to coppy and extend the center bracing between the roof sections. With all your pieces made, next you will need a neumatic crimping tool to make a channel in the roof of the Cad all around the C you cut out. Then making sure the T's are perfectly in line, trim up their extra tin till they settle in the channel you just made for them. Drill your holes and spot weld everything together, a little putty, some paint, and put your car back together.

Disclamer, this is how I would, and can do such. Take my advice at your own risk. Working with cutting and welding equipment, as well as metal can be verry dangerious, or even deadly.