PDA

View Full Version : what AC kit is this?

SatisTraction
10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
the guy i bought the car from did not build it and he was not sure. I am trying to get the specs because it is MARGINAL at best.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/10/7ec2_3JPG-1.jpg

Project69
10-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Looks like a vintage air.

Mark Smith
10-07-2007, 02:10 PM
if it is vintage air.dont think you can run the factory compressor.

Project69
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
there the only kit i know of that puts the heater/ac assembly under the dash like this.

Other then that i have no clue

That serptine drive system looks like the one off my GMC truck.

MonzaRacer
10-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Why cant you run a "factory" compressor?
The Vintage air setups are using "factory" type compressors.
Generally the Sanden/Sankyo 509 units. If its a GM compressor from a truck its (I think I have the proper model)RV15 and can cool a Suburban.
if its not working make sure its properly charged, hasd a new drier in system and the numbers are good, For a R134A system low sides are 28-32 and the high side on a hot day should be in the 200 to 250 range with condenser fan(s) on high.
If the system has air in it or a saturated drier the unit wont work as wella s it needs too.
Now it depends on the type of control system if its a CCOT(Cycling Clutch Orifice Tube) or has a temp sensing expansion valve or uses an set expansion vale.
There are several ways it can be built, if its a CCOT you can swap it for the appropriate AAOT(Automatic Adjusting Orifce Tube) or a self adjusting orrifce tube, it allows the system to function more efficiently especially with small volume systems.
If it has a temp sensing expansion valve the sensing bulb may be palced wrong or have moved, as when it sense a warm evaporator it allows more refrigerant to flow its other job is to keep the evaporator from freezing.
Also if the system was installed with R12 and then was converted it may not have enough condenser area.
Also if it was converted improperly it can fail to opperate efficiantly.
A lot of supposed AC tech just dump in a can of oil and drop inthe R134A and let it go but the mineral oil in the R12 system will mix with the synthetic oil needed for the R134A and it turns to sludge.
I have over 20 yrs of AC experience and arong 14 yrs of conversion experience.
I am at present trying to source enough parts to reinstall AC on my 77 Monza after I get it running. And since I am picking up a 72 Buick Skylark to put my big block in it will get new AC and ill build it from some stock parts and some aftermarket parts.
My perfernce is using AAOTs and set up the system as a converted CCOT.
Any compressor can be used for AC the big trick is having enough evaporator and condenser area to be efficient.
Most street rod setups have sufficient evaporator but less than proper condensers.
I am not a big fan of the smallish driers used either.
And if anyone tries to sell anyone "drop in replacements" dont do it as some are mixes of r12 and r134A and dont carry lubricant right, they also may not be legal in your area.
Also if you put ANYTHING in the system it has to have refrigerant specific connectors to avoid cross contamination, and be properly tagged as to what refrigerant is used and type/amount of oil and system capacity.
Now if you dump in some thing you can get a big fine, if you do it the installer gets a $25k fine, imediate supervisor a $50k fine and a buisness fine of $100k to $250k.
Now if you do it your self you take on ALL of the fines.
Trust me a few extra dollars and taking it to a good shop will be piece of mind and someone you can blame if it is done illegally.
I also see a lot of fans not running through relays, too light of wire to them also no relay on the Compressor.
Most of the GM truck and van units have mounts that mount everything on hem, some steel and some are aluminum, most of the units like that one are from vans.
Good luck getting it working good and ask if you need any professional help.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE