PDA

View Full Version : rear shocks--relocate or not

billybobdupree
10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Will doing a rear shock relocating mod allow any more room for a wider tire IF NOT tubbing the car?

I have read that 9 1/2'' is the widest tire that will fit in stock form but will moving the shocks inbord gain anything? maybe 10''?

I will be using 17'' wheels.

Thanks
Billy

neki67
10-06-2007, 01:47 AM
No, moving the shocks will not help you. The inner wheeltubs are the limiting factor.

I have 17x10 on my car and what I did to make them fit is, what I call a micro tub. Just remove or cut the small section between the inner wheeltub and the frame, hammer the innerwheeltub as much in as possible and weld the seam. It gives about 1 to 1-1/2" extra room.

Obviously the BS of the wheels is also very important, plus all these cars slightly differ from one to the other (mine even has a difference between the right and the left side) so you'll have to measure to make sure you'll be OK.

billybobdupree
10-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Sounds like a good mod, do ya have any :pics2:

thanks, billy

billybobdupree
10-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Can someone with a rear shock relocation on a 1st gen camaro tell me what rear shock you are using.

and pictures of your rear shock relocation would be great !

just trying to get ideas on which shocks/kit to use. or maybe just fab my own.

Thanks
Billy

neki67
10-06-2007, 07:42 AM
With a 17x10 wheel you don't have to relocate the shock (or at least not in my case).

billybobdupree
10-06-2007, 03:56 PM
yes, I got ya. but I am using (right and left) LS1 rear cailpers. trying to not do the inverted left caliper mount mod.

Just kicking around ideas...

billy

speED
10-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Do you have any pics. What is your backspacing and what size tire do you run?

No, moving the shocks will not help you. The inner wheeltubs are the limiting factor.

I have 17x10 on my car and what I did to make them fit is, what I call a micro tub. Just remove or cut the small section between the inner wheeltub and the frame, hammer the innerwheeltub as much in as possible and weld the seam. It gives about 1 to 1-1/2" extra room.

Obviously the BS of the wheels is also very important, plus all these cars slightly differ from one to the other (mine even has a difference between the right and the left side) so you'll have to measure to make sure you'll be OK.

neki67
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm running 285/40-17 in the rear.

I'll have to see if I can make a couple of decent pics of what I'm referring to.

GHOSTDANCER
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/52682_relocate_shocks_tire_clearance/index.html