PDA

View Full Version : G-Bar traction woes..

ITLBTU
10-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I have the G-Bar set-up on my '69 Camaro. I know that many of you are going to laugh, but I have a 5 sp with a 3.08 posi rear. In first gear anything more than half throttle at nearly any speed, it totally lights em up. It looks like the only way to get more anti squat is to raise the upper control arm at the axel, which is welded to the tube. does anyone else have traction problems with the G-Bar? I have a sm 400 pushing maybe 400hp-425hp. It looks like the upper arms actually go up from the rear forward. I have 295-17zr40 tires in the rear.

rob07002
10-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm no expert but I seriously doubt 425hp will dead hook on anything but slicks.

40 series rubber has very little sidewall and so no flex, not to mention probably rock hard compound.

Where do you have the shocks set? pinion angle? Tire pressure?

EricButler
10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Do they make a 295/40 for a 17 inch wheel? I have never seen that before. What brand are they?

Travis B
10-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Rocker hieght? at ride height.....

Project69
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Not related but i couldnt hook up eaither in first with my 69' had around 350hp th350 and 3.08 posi also.

Try switching to a softer compound tire, like NT555R, or RA-1

nicks67camaro
10-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Installing one now on a stong small block I'll keep you posted. I am running into issues I am not sure when it will be on the road

ITLBTU
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I was wrong on the tire size, it's a Eagle F1 GS-D3 285/40ZR17 . As far as the ride hight goes, I will have to measure it again. I will post a pic of the stance, and get the measurements tonight. As far as the traction issue goes, I'm talking about just hitting the "gas", not dropping the clutch.

Moose
10-08-2007, 09:28 AM
I run a drad radial on mine so I'm not much help.. mine hooks no problem with a drag radial. I will be putting a set of street tires on in the next few weeks though, I'll get back to you..

Off topic question.. How does your car ride? Mine is very stiff, bouncy..

Marcus SC&C
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree a 400 SBC with a 5 speed and 3.08 is going to vaporize those Z rated 40s anywhere in 1st gear regardless of how your rear suspension is set up. In this day of over the top 1,100hp twin turbo LSX motors and such it`s easy to forget how good a torquey 425hp 400 small block really runs! I had a `77 Camaro years ago with a maybe 375hp 400 small block,TH350 and 2.56 gears (yeah,yuck!) and it would still smoke the 275-60-15s until the cows came home even from a 15mph roll! As mentioned above sticky tires are your friends here. Also if the upper links are going uphill toward the frame at ride height you may want to drop the ride height a bit. It`s designed to work best with the links angled the other way. What`s your pinion angle at actual ride height? Mark SC&C

rob07002
10-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Your better off running solid rubber shopping cart tires then Goodyear Eagles. They're great for burnout contests though.

I would take a look at pinion angle, get a set of R-compunds or drag radials and start there. Also, your shocks might be too stiff at compression.

When you drop the hammer does the rear squat or raise up? Also keep in mind our cars are low in the front and that doesn't exactly help weight transfer.

darren@ridetech
10-09-2007, 06:52 AM
That system was designed for a 14.5" ride height on coil over or Shockwave. Driving it too high or too low could throw you bar angles off. Your stance looks about right tho?

nicks67camaro
10-09-2007, 07:23 AM
That system was designed for a 14.5" ride height on coil over or Shockwave. Driving it too high or too low could throw you bar angles off. Your stance looks about right tho?

Darren, where are you measuring to get the ride height I just installed mine this weekend (g-bar) and it looks low but I'm coming from gw L2 leaf's. Mine is roughly 26.5 inches from the ground to the peak of the wheel well opening before with a 25.85 tall tire. I used the spacer between the axle and the old shock mount like the manual siad. Does this sound right?

ITLBTU As for traction I drove it last night it JUST RAINED and the car squatted a little the nose twitched up and it pulled hard. I'm running a total TQ multiplication of 9.33 in 1st with a sbc 400 w/afr heads.

What is everyon doing with the exhaust? There is no room now with my 3inch flowmaster 30 series!

ITLBTU
10-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I checked the ride height at the bottom of the rocker last night. It's 8 1/4" up front and 9 1/2" in the rear. I probably should lower the rear a little. I don't remember the pinion angle. I used a "smart level" (maybe a smart operator would be better!) and set it the same as the engine off of the balancer.

As far as the exhaust goes... I stopped it short of the axel. There isn't a whole lot of room for my 3" pipes to go around with out a lot of tweaking.

Moose
10-09-2007, 03:38 PM
hows everyone ride? again mines stiff and I know I have a pinion angle problem, which I plan to fix this week.

Exhaust, I put on turn downs for now, once i decide on motor i'll reroute over the axle.

nicks67camaro
10-10-2007, 05:05 AM
My ride is great so far. I think traction is about the same over my L2 set up I got the pinion angle dead on 2degrees down by using blocks to center the axle against the frame then I jacked up the rear then using blocks again to space out the front of the dif. away from the body. Then I used a digital angle finder and bingo. what does your do that you know you have pinion angle problems. my is smooth up to 75 so far. My driveshaft is to long! I need it cut down 3/4 of an inch.

darren@ridetech
10-10-2007, 08:58 AM
That would be 14.5" from center eye to center eye. Should be around 75-80 psi. Try about 3 clicks in the rebound for a good ride quality, and a few more for handling.

nicks67camaro
10-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks Darren. FYI good exhaust option is spintech they have a nice oval 3inch that works with an oval muffler that is only 3inches high! i just ordered compents to build it from the xpipe back. I hope to have it installed in the next couple weeks.

Moose
10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
That would be 14.5" from center eye to center eye. Should be around 75-80 psi. Try about 3 clicks in the rebound for a good ride quality, and a few more for handling.

car felt worse softer.. I tighten it up and felt better.. just a harder ride..

I'll measure the shocks to see where I'm at.

Darren and everyone, thanks for technical info in this thread.