PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a BRP Rack & Pinion set-up?

KHShapiro
10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
anyone like to chime in , if they like it or not.
Pro/Cons..

Yes i did a search both under rack and pinion / BRP / BRP rack and pinion
very little showed up.

i have the brp kit but havent installed it yet, i have read a few threads bout why not to use it but no one has ever chimed in that is using one.....

Kent James
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I bought one of these rack kits. Three days after opening the box I sent it back!
Mainly because I couldn't justify the price I paid for the "shade tree" parts in the kit. (Someone needs to be taught how to weld and how to use a grinder and, O-hot-dam wait till you see their instructions and the template). In a nutshell, the parts weren't good enough for my car and at the price I paid, I felt I should not have to take the time to rework them. The only semi-nice part in the kit were the steering arms and they looked like they had been slid around on the floor of the shop just before packaging!
And after talking to a few other members on this board w/BRP it seems I got a nice kit!
On the other hand, I do think that the kit will work and preform well. The only thing that would be a concern would be bump steer and I think that problem is taken care of in the newer kits, as they use a 'newer' tie rod end that have spacers incorporated into the bearing made by QA1 ($12 part).

My rambling, probably didn't help much since I never got to use the kit but at least you and others may have a little more insight before purchasing.

black67ls1
10-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I installed mine a couple years ago. Looking back on it, I don't think the kit was worth the money, especially to someone who has the tools and know-how to do it themselves. At the time, I did not. On the plus side, it was something that had been done and proven to work (at least on Year One's Innovator car). When I bought mine, I think it was one of the better options.

As far as the kit itself, there were issues. I did not like the straight steering shaft. BRP wants you to cut a wide swath thru the top of the crossmember. I used another u-joint in the shaft and ran it through the middle (hollow) of crossmember.

The kit works fine. The car handles and steers great. I guess considering all the money spent on the BRP kit, DSE coil overs and A-arms, bushings, and subframe prep, I would have just bought the new DSE subframe (for LS1) that is now available.

One more thing. They forgot to send me the brackets for the a/c compressor for the LS1. What arrived was junk. Weak, homemade looking pieces. I ended up buying the Vintage Air Steel-eze brackets.

KHShapiro
10-06-2007, 01:51 PM
black67ls1
do you have any pictures of your modified brp kit install?
i'd also like to see your clearance between your right frame rail and the front of engine, if you have any . by the way how is your turning radius?
thanks
[email protected]