PDA

View Full Version : Currie-trac rear control arms

BigBlockOlds
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Are these able to be disassembled? I assume they are are since the spherical bearing at one end is held in by a snap ring. What about the polyurethane bushings at the other end?

I bought these new and installed them in my '87 but finish on them is terrible. I don't know what paint they use but it doen't hold up well at all. You can just about hit it with your figernail and get it to chip.
So I wanted to blast them and coat them with some high gloss black powder coat.

Thanks,

Marcus SC&C
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes they can be disassembled. Take the snap ring out and press the Johnny Joint out. Make sure you don`t loose the thrust shims if there are any in there. You can do it with improvides tools or Currie sells a press for them. The rear come apart like any other polygraphite bushings. Take the sleeve out of the center then use a drift to push the bushings out each side. The finish in the Currectracs is blackpowder coat. Normally it`s very chip resistant and wears like iron. We stripped the finish off a set here to custom paint them and it was genuine pain to get off. Sounds like someone at the powder coater was having a bad day when they did yours... Mark SC&C

BigBlockOlds
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks Marcus.

I can tell these aren't even powder coat. Just standard paint thats peeling off everywhere. Not to mention they were just thrown in a box when I received them with no packing material. I probably received a pair of rejects.
They installed okay other than being an extremely tight fit in the frame and rear end. I just need to pull them back out and have them powder coated.

Thanks for the help!

Yes they can be disassembled. The finish in the Currectracs is blackpowder coat. Normally it`s very chip resistant and wears like iron. We stripped the finish off a set here to custom paint them and it was genuine pain to get off. Sounds like someone at the powder coater was having a bad day when they did yours... Mark SC&C

83hurstguy
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I'd complain to Currie if they've never been installed... those are some pricey arms to be doing that...

gearheads78
10-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Must be a fluke. Mine came in and looks like what seems to be nice quality semi-gloss black powder coat.