PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent!

sikryd
10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi All,
I need to vent, hope you don't mind.
I currently have my 67 Camaro RS in the body shop and it has been there for 16 months. I changed out all the rusted sheet metal myself before taking it in to the body shop. I changed the rear quarters, tail panel, trunk lid, panel between the rear window and trunk lid, and one door skin. I also purchase one new front fender, so basically there was just finish body work to do. I looked for 2 years for someone to take my car, so when I finally found a shop, I jumped at the chance. The shop does pretty good work from what I hear, like taking the car down to bare metal before body working, and owner says no limit on paint warranty due to the fact that he knows there is no rust under it.
So here I am 16 months later, and the car is still not done. I have seen cars come and go while my car just sits. I give the guy ***** about it every so often, but am getting to the point that i am ready to pull the car. I don't want to tell him that I may pull the car because I am worried he will rush it and do a $hity job. What do you all think? should I pull it? If I do, I was thinking of just showing up one day unannounced with a tow truck and demanding my vehicle. only thing is after that point, who do I take it to? Seems like no body shop here in hawaii wants to do that kind of work, they just do insurance jobs and stuff. At the same time, i have already been waiting 16 months, so another six months aint ***** right...but two years for bodywork is pretty rediculous if you ask me. Ughhhhhhh!
Price wise, if the car gets done, I am happy... I am paying around $7,800 for bodywork and paint. Not bad in my book, as I had a few shops quote me like $12,000.
Anyways... thanks for reading my venting!

Aloha,
Jared

syborg tt
10-03-2007, 06:21 AM
yep body shop jail stinks.

Just curious has he done any work and have you given him any money

class67
10-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Has he done any work on it? is this a regular body shop that does alot of insurance work? if so, that explains it as those shops do all the insurance work first because it is easy / quick money for them. I would try to seriously talk to the guy and set up a time line. I feel your pain, I think that alot of us out here have been through the same thing. Good luck!

sikryd
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I think they do a lot of insurance work. I know they do body mods and stuff to, as I have seen many cars come in and leave with body kits, vents, etc... I keep trying to set up a time line, but seems to never work. He has done a lot of work, but not 16 months worth of work. I mean if he put in 30 minutes of work a day it would have been done months and months ago. I know the car sits for weeks, maybe a month at a time without being touched. I have given him a total of $4,950, and have told him no more until the car is done.

danbob67
10-06-2007, 03:56 PM
humm looks like you dont have to much of a option you can either pay more money and let it sit in another shop for who knows how long or just hope they get slow with the insurance work and work on yours. I work in a mainly insurance work shop and if you dont know it actually insurance companies in a way run them all, if you cant get there work done as quickly as they like you can lose your direct repair status and lose business cause most ins. companies only have a few shops in a designated area to send wrecks if you are not a direct repair facility for that insurance company that job goes elsewhere that is. We got a couple of jailed cars where I am at but they were told before they even got a estimate it would be a while but usually a car isnt there more than 8 months (worst case). Just hang in there if they do good work and you know it, then it will be worth it when they are done.

aggressive male
10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
This is the very reason I come here to learn how to do things myself instead of bringing it to someone else.

chopshopcustoms
10-08-2007, 03:59 AM
I currently have my 67 Camaro RS in the body shop and it has been there for 16 months.
Aloha,
Jared

Hey Jared: First off: set up an appointment with the shop owner to discuss your car. My guess is that if he schedules the time, he will be able to devote all his time to you at that point. If you just stop by , he may be busy with something else.
$7800 for what you are having done is VERY inexpensive- sounds like the guy may have taken the job in as a filler job- for when other things go slow, he can pick up on you car and do some work.

If after speaking with him (and I cant stress enough that communication is key in a situation like this- and communication with the shop owner- not the mesage board- no offense) you still arent happy with the work done (not the time frame - did he give you a specific time frame the car was supposed to be complete by -in writing on your contract?) pull the car. Its your car- you can do what you want with it.

If you have paid for the work and he is finished with the work- you are even.

I would definatley start with speaking with him- most shop owners are reasonable IF you approach the issue professionally and as if it is a business issue- which it is.

IN the long run you want it done right , not fast.

Good luck.Keep us posted if you can OK?