PDA

View Full Version : leaf spring shackles

RobM
01-09-2005, 01:39 PM
well im having a problem with my rear leaf spring shackles on my camaro, the bushings that i pressed into the frame created a distance of 5 inches from side to side, the outer faces of the bushings in the leaf springs are about 4 inches apart. i need a shackle that has the dementions of 5 inches on the frame side and 4 inches on the leaf spring side. does any body out there know of a part that will work for me or have an answer to this?

zbugger
01-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Ummm... I'm thinking that you may have put the spring bushings in the frame, and the frame bushings in the springs. I noticed a difference when I put the bushings in my car too. I did just that and had to pull them and reverse them. Just an idea.

RobM
01-09-2005, 02:15 PM
i thought about that, but i already had to turn down the frame bushings more then a 1/4 of an inch to make them fit they would have been massivly oversized to fit in a leaf spring, maby i should just cut the frame bushings some more and make them more narow

zbugger
01-09-2005, 02:55 PM
What are you using? Did you install solid bushings? That info would help too.

baz67
01-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I think zbugger is correct. The way it sounds you put the bushings that are made, but should not be used in a PT car, for the front spring eye. I gather that by your statement of turning down the bushings. If you measure the front spring eye you will find it has a larger diameter than the rear spring eye.

Brian

RobM
01-09-2005, 08:58 PM
im pretty sure i have the bushings in the right place though, there are 8 that were obviously for the springs and 4 that where alot bigger that seemed to be for the frame i think these frame bushings are just crazy for some reason. they are poly type bushings by the way.

zbugger
01-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Ok, the large diameter bushings go in the front spring eye. The two for the rear are the same diameter, but the shoulder is different. The thick shoulder should go in the spring, and the thinner one should go in the frame. Hopefully this helps.

MrQuick
01-09-2005, 11:54 PM
I see it pretty difficult to mistake a front bushing for a rear. A front bushing is around 2 1/2" diameter while the rear ones are around 1 3/4" roughly.
If you have 8 that are the same then those would be for the rear.2 things:
1. are you sure you got the right parts
2. are you sure the frame and spring holes are clean,a burr or old rubber can hinder installation.
what kit are you using.The poly kits I use has a 1 piece front spring eye bushing.

RobM
01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
boy is my face red, you guys are right i had the wrong bushings in. i gues ive learned never to doubt you guys :doh:. at least now i know whats going on with these darn things