PDA

View Full Version : 94 impala rear disc on 70 chevelle 10 bolt

lh_kustoms
09-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I have a rear disc setup from a 94 impala ss and have it bolted up but the bolt pattern for the rotors is 5 x 5. does anyone know if the 98-02 camaro rotors will work? the stock setup from the impala has an internal parking brake and im trying to figure out what rotors will work that have 5 x 4-3/4 bolt pattern. thanks for the help this site is awesome

Apogee
10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
The Impala SS backing plate will only work with the Impala calipers without modification, which are designed for .787" [20mm] thick rotors. The 98-02 F-body rotors are 1.02" [26mm] thick, not to mention slightly larger OD at 305mm versus 295mm.

The simplest thing to do would be to run the Impala rotors, machine them for the 5 x 4.75 pattern, and either sleeve your axles to 3.06" for the center register or run hub-centric centering rings. Then you have disc brakes at minimal cost. The brake offset dimension on your axle is almost 1/16" greater than the Impala, so you may need to shim the PAB to get things centered and make sure nothing hits. Check your axial endplay in your axle/c-clips as well and try to get it less than .010" per side.

There may be rotors that will work with that combination off-the-shelf, but anything less than 1" thick I don't pay much attention to so I don't know of any off hand.

There is a guy I know that sells C5/C6 adapters for the rear backing plates so that the Impala guys can get rid of the crappy calipers/PABs that come on those cars for the better Corvette stuff. You might want to look him up on the Impala SS forum (http://www.impalassforum.com/). Navylifer is his user name. PM me for his contact info.

83hurstguy
10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
IIRC, C4 vette rotors (non-HD) are 0.81" thick, in a 12" diameter... should be 4.75" bolt pattern, don't know about the rotor offsets... just another avenue to investigae.

Apogee
10-02-2007, 08:12 AM
IIRC, C4 vette rotors (non-HD) are 0.81" thick, in a 12" diameter... should be 4.75" bolt pattern, don't know about the rotor offsets... just another avenue to investigae.

That could be a good option if it weren't for the fact that the C4 Corvettes were the one and only model Corvette that had rear calipers with integral parking brakes instead of the drum-in-hat style. He needs a rotor with a 190mm drum, the proper offset, the proper thickness, and then preferably a 5 x 4.75 hole pattern...I'll keep my eyes open, but I'm wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

83hurstguy
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
That could be a good option if it weren't for the fact that the C4 Corvettes were the one and only model Corvette that had rear calipers with integral parking brakes instead of the drum-in-hat style. He needs a rotor with a 190mm drum, the proper offset, the proper thickness, and then preferably a 5 x 4.75 hole pattern...I'll keep my eyes open, but I'm wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

ah, forgot about that... :doh: Thanks for setting that straight...

lh_kustoms
10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
The Impala SS backing plate will only work with the Impala calipers without modification, which are designed for .787" [20mm] thick rotors. The 98-02 F-body rotors are 1.02" [26mm] thick, not to mention slightly larger OD at 305mm versus 295mm.

The simplest thing to do would be to run the Impala rotors, machine them for the 5 x 4.75 pattern, and either sleeve your axles to 3.06" for the center register or run hub-centric centering rings. Then you have disc brakes at minimal cost. The brake offset dimension on your axle is almost 1/16" greater than the Impala, so you may need to shim the PAB to get things centered and make sure nothing hits. Check your axial endplay in your axle/c-clips as well and try to get it less than .010" per side.

There may be rotors that will work with that combination off-the-shelf, but anything less than 1" thick I don't pay much attention to so I don't know of any off hand.

There is a guy I know that sells C5/C6 adapters for the rear backing plates so that the Impala guys can get rid of the crappy calipers/PABs that come on those cars for the better Corvette stuff. You might want to look him up on the Impala SS forum (http://www.impalassforum.com/). Navylifer is his user name. PM me for his contact info.
thanks very much for the info i will look into it. this site is very insightful much appreciated